Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Pawleys Plantation ...

Pawleys Plantation 2.5.19  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 6, 2019 4:32 am  

This is a tough review to write because while there are so many positives about the course, there are some negatives too.

The positives -  this is a wow layout for beauty and interesting golf holes. Only the second time I've played it and appreciate  it more this time. The holes on the marsh are spectacular - though most golfers don't like the short par 3 14th. (I do) The interior holes are good too. I like the routing, the conditions were great - greens overseeded and quick. Two holes were roped off but not wet. Carts are fast, staff friendly and efficient, bag guy was very helpful. 

The negatives - typical Nicklaus greens where several require a high fade to hit them and stay on. Good example is # 17 par 3 played at 150 yards. Green looks like a slice of bacon perched on a low hill. Hit it short and you are going to fall back in the water. Hit it on the green with a shot that doesn't hold well (remember - it's a very narrow green) and you will be going over and down a hill with a difficult chip shot - or even into the woods. (Similar to # 3 at Long Bay except LB has a decent area on the right to hit too. Not a fan of trees in the middle of the fairways - there are several on the course. The 2nd shot on three of the par 5's are  difficult as there is very little area to hit to. Extremely narrow - especially the first hole's second shot- not good for the short hitter. White tees are 6200 and the senior 5600 - should be a 5900 tee - I suggest at combo for guys that don't hit it long.

Overall - I would play the course more often if it wasn't such a schlep to get there. There are a bunch of courses down south I would play more often if they weren't 50 to 75 minutes drives for me. It's a tier one course and I think I like it better than Caledonia and definitely better than True Blue. This is not an easy course. It will test your driving ability with trees on the edges of the fairway that require you to shape your shot, and you can't make mistakes with your shots into the greens or you will pay a price (unless you're 1putt1 who can get it up and down from anywhere)

If you've never played Pawleys - put it on your list - it is a beautiful experience.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 6, 2019 9:07 am  

Tough golf course, as you said. Question: Pawleys  Plantation is really better than Caledonia and True Blue? As you know, these two golf courses of Mike Strantz have received many positives reviews. So it is a bit of a surprise...I agree that it is not easy to go there. Thanks for the report. 

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by S***H

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Eminent Member
February 6, 2019 10:35 am  

Thanks for the report, I enjoy your multiple reports. I too wouldn't rate PP anywhere close to Caledonia but just my personal preference. A Tier 2 course for me on that 1-5 scale previously discussed 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
February 6, 2019 3:22 pm  

The Par 3 #13 usually plays too short.   The distance is fine on #17, but I agree that the 
green is too shallow for the shot over water and it's not even sloped towards the tee.   
Also there is nothing to stop a ball from the woods behind the green.    

There are too many houses and over the years conditions have been up and down
for me to put Pawleys in my top 10, but it can make my 2nd 10. 

Thanks for another great report!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 6, 2019 5:36 pm  

Those of you who rate Caledonia or True Blue above PP - I have no issue with that. I like the difficult driving of PP as it fits my game against my opponents. True Blue is just too wide open for my taste - but an excellent course that is neat to look at and great to play.

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 6, 2019 10:28 pm  

I go back and forth on this course. I have played several Nicklaus courses and I can honestly say, sometimes I am not a fan. Pawley's has the wow factor but some of the holes seem gimmicky and trees in the fairway and the greens are irritating. But, it is a pretty place. To me, it is a very hard golf course.  I don't like it to play it often, but I can see the appeal. 

Personally, I like True Blue and Caledonia much better and even Heritage much better.  The best Nicklaus course I have played is Legacy in Aberdeen, NC(outside of Pinehurst) and his son designed it.  A few times I have played Pawleys the greens were very bad, but that was years ago. The last few years they have been good.  

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by herdman

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 7, 2019 5:42 am  

ATTENTION - I have been convinced. After reading your comments, I looked deep into my golfing soul and realized - you guys are right. Caledonia and True Blue are actually better courses that PP. Had to be spur of the moment for me to pick PP over them and on my top ten list. I like but don't love Nicklaus courses - too many things he designs that aren't as playable. I like the look of PP more than Cal and TB - but have come to my senses - and I have you my fellow MBGT'ers to thank. I was wrong!

PS - That may be the first time in my life, except for with my wife where I am always wrong.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Estimable Member
February 7, 2019 10:46 am  

No problen at all UGP. I would give four stars on a five stars ranking to Pawlays Plantation. But it is just a perception. There is very little room for errant shots on this course as OOB is close to the edge of the fairway. Two par 3s played off the bridge are a bit 'mickey mouse' in terms of design.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 7, 2019 12:48 pm  

Unlike most golfers I talk to - I like the dinky short par 3 and would really like 17 if the green was built differently. 

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Estimable Member
February 7, 2019 1:12 pm  

I played there years ago, i played terrible though i liked the course a lot. I got paired up with a supposed Plus handicap guy that shot 90 something, he got in my head (my fault) and i hit the ball off the fairway terrible. Off the tee i hit it great, but man i was Bo Diddly off the fairway. I do like the shot par 3 i think it is fun and stressful. I will not say better then Caledonia or TB but hey everyone is allowed their opinion.  

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
UNCGolfer
(@uncgolfer)
February 7, 2019 3:35 pm  

Thanks UGP.  My groups never played PP because of it's difficulty.  I've got half my group who only play a few times a year outside the trip to Myrtle.  I'd love to play it because of the difficulty to see how my game stacks up.

I like Nicklaus courses and shot one of my best rounds at Myrtle at Long Bay.  Big fan of his course at Kiawah.  Maybe it's because I went to college w/Jack Jr.....   

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 7, 2019 4:02 pm  

I took some guys to the beach on a trip. Stayed at my place down there. We played Indian Wells, Pawleys, and then TPC.  The beating started with the last 3 or 4 holes at Indian Wells and didn't stop until  we got to the car on the last day at TPC. One of the guys said, "load my clubs and lets go to the house so I can sell them." That was  tough 3 days. hahaaa   

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Honorable Member
February 7, 2019 5:32 pm  

Not sure how Indian Wells got on your radar - but it is tougher than it looks - though not on par with PP and TPC!

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
February 7, 2019 9:11 pm  
Posted by: Undercover Golf Pro

Not sure how Indian Wells got on your radar - but it is tougher than it looks - though not on par with PP and TPC!

It was a convenient place to meet.  The last 4 holes there are pretty tough.   Pawleys and TPC back to back were tough for us.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Estimable Member
February 11, 2019 1:54 pm  

Just played there once and you're making me anxious to get back for sure!

Once again, thanks for reporting!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: