Clear all

Patience toward others on a golf course  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/05/2019 8:52 am  

Many golfers can be pretty self centered about ‘their’ game and not necessarily appreciate how others, especially ladies, juniors, and older folks (not us guys!) learn to play the game. Just wondering, what do you do on a golf course for them, to left them learn and develop their game and habilities. For me, it is to stay patient and let them enough time. And i am very patient.  But, i recognize that it is not easy to do. Patience is relative to each one. For some, patience is very short. For others it could be longer. But how long is enough? If it is evident after a few holes that it could be an very long round of golf, do you find a way to escape after the first nine? i confess that i have done that one time, but was it the right thing to do? Still wondering...

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
12/05/2019 9:27 am  

If I'm playing with the group, it depends on whether I know the other players. If I don't know my playing partners, I keep my mouth shut. And I may well end my round after nine holes or accept the offer that's frequently made to go ahead of the group if there's an opening.

If I'm playing behind the group, I yell and gesticulate with a club from the center of the fairway or the tee to get them moving. OK, only kidding, but I tend to find my way around them. I'm patient but my natural rhythm is to play relatively quickly--walking, I can play 18 in less than three hours--so unless I know my playing partners or people in the group ahead, I don't like to sacrifice my game for them.

If I'm with friends, then I'll encourage the beginner to do whatever is comfortable to help speed up the game. Once I told a friend who was new to the game to tee everything up--fairway shots as well as tees. There'll come a time when a new golfer is more comfortable hitting shots from the fairway but most will hit acceptable shots off a tee soon after taking up the game. I'd rather that they be encouraged to keep playing by seeing some positive shots rather than spending 18 holes being frustrated. Another time, I played with a friend who couldn't hit much of anything except with his 6-iron. I suggested he use that one club as much as possible since it was obvious he was comfortable with it.

In addition, any time I'm playing with a relative newbie, I point out small things that might have a big effect on the speed of the round. I remember playing with a friend who was switching his games from tennis to golf. We came down to MB and were playing one of the courses at Sea Trail when he hit his approach shot to the right of the green towards some high brush. After we parked the cart to the left of the green, we walked over to look for his ball. When we didn't find it, he started walking back to his cart. I asked why, and he told me he needed to get another ball. I gently pointed out that he should have an extra ball in one of his pockets at all times, just in case, adding that if he could carry a second serve ball for tennis, a game that requires a fair amount of running, he could carry a much smaller second golf ball.

Given the state of the game today--if you think play has dropped off in MB, I just came back from Hawaii where things were so slow I played as a single four out of five rounds--I figure we're all ambassadors. I want to encourage my newbie friends to keep playing golf by doing things that make the game more fun for them while helping them transition into the kind of golfers who will know how to play well while keeping up a decent pace of play.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/05/2019 9:37 am  

Well done. Thanks for your insight! 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
12/05/2019 2:04 pm  

For me it all depends on time of day. If a beginner is out first thing in the morning then i get upset. If i play in the afternoon and they are out i am cool with it. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/05/2019 3:00 pm  

Curiously i would say that we see them in the afternoon. At my home course the better players play before 10 am. Couples and juniors play after 2 pm most of the time.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
12/05/2019 8:56 pm  

If you are teaching a beginner, start at the range.  Dribbling it 10-50 yards down 
the fairways takes too long to learn.   If you bring a beginner to the course, then help
them.   If paired with a stranger beginner, it's probably best to not say anything, unless
asked.     If they dribble quickly and keep up, it's not too bad on a busy course.   
It gets really frustrating when they also have bad/no etiquette and after you watched
them hit 4-5 shots, they can't stay out of your way when it's finally your turn.    

If the course is not busy and there is a way to go on ahead or skip a hole, then do that, 
assuming they are a stranger pairing and not who you invited.    I don't quit, unless it's 
raining or 100°, because I never have an appointment right after golf.        

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
12/06/2019 10:48 am  

My BIL is a horrible golfer and getting worse. The only time he plays now is on vacation, that bothers me. I am a early player and i feel like i have to move faster, play better then put unneeded pressure on myself. Then i am miserable and play like Poop. I forget he still plays at a decent speed but just hits the ball horrendous. My 13 year old hits it better then he does, i worry less about her. I also take her at times that i wont affect other players. 

I know i shouldnt be this way but i let it get me off my game. That is on me not him. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/06/2019 11:14 am  

@jbshepherds

You know, i have the same choice to do: left others disturb my game or be friendly, patient with them. I play fast, when this is too long this situation can affect my play. So it is the reason why i prefer to play very soon in the morning. In general, better players prefers to go first.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/06/2019 11:21 am  

@artmbgolf

As you said Art, if i am paired with a beginner, this is probably better to not say anything, unless they asked me.
I do the same thing with better players because they know how to play. A good player has never asked me a counsel about his play. So it is better be quiet with all players.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
12/06/2019 2:01 pm  

When I'm on the course and see someone who is learning to play or just not very good it does not bother me if they are trying to keep up with the group in front of them.

Here's what does bother me:  Players who wait for the green to clear even though they are 250+ yards out and could not reach the green with a cannon.  When they finally get on the green they must read their putt from all four sides, take three practice strokes and then four-putt!  Watching the PGA Tour has helped to kill the pace of golf.

I am a member at a municipal golf course where we have a morning group of 12-20 players that tee off around 8:30 AM.  Unless it is an especially heavy tee-time day, most rounds we are finished by 12:00 PM.  

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/06/2019 3:14 pm  

@tadpole

I agree 100%. This is frustrating. PGA Tour has helped to kill the pace of golf. Best players are often very slow on the greens. But they play for big money and rankings, plus their greens are very fast. Recreational golfers should play more rapidly when they are not in an important tournament. Just my humble opinion.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
12/06/2019 3:43 pm  

Down here in MB patience is required for sure, to many golfers playing the wrong tees on any given course lead to a long day generally.  Just grin and bear it and hey what the heck we are in MB enjoying.

At home we play the same time each day and we have no worries about a beginner/still learning golfer being put in front of us.  Average POP there is 4 hours.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
12/06/2019 4:30 pm  
Posted by: @leftygar1

Down here in MB patience is required for sure, to many golfers playing the wrong tees on any given course lead to a long day generally.  Just grin and bear it and hey what the heck we are in MB enjoying.

You have a very strong argument Lefty 😊 😉  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
12/06/2019 6:24 pm  

Patience my ass! Get out of the way - Get off my golf course!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
12/06/2019 11:33 pm  
Posted by: @s333h

@tadpole

I agree 100%. This is frustrating. PGA Tour has helped to kill the pace of golf. Best players are often very slow on the greens. But they play for big money and rankings, plus their greens are very fast. Recreational golfers should play more rapidly when they are not in an important tournament. Just my humble opinion.

When Tiger Woods takes 5 minutes to read a green and re-mark his ball a couple times and make sure the line on his ball is perfectly matched up with his target.... then pick up his coin for the final time... then read the green again, then stand over the ball while shifting his weight from foot to foot until he is comfortable..... That makes a lot of Sunday golfers think that is the normal thing to do.

I think a lot of beginning golfers think too much about what they are supposed to do before every shot.

When my wife took up the game, she was taking long, I  told her to look at the shot from behind the ball, step up... Take ONE practice swing or waggle ( I liked the waggle) ...and hit the ball. She got used to it and was actually a quick golfer and got better because of it.

........... i golfed with 3 guys I grew up with in July.It was hot out. After 3 holes and seeing that 2 of the guys were slow, and nobody noticing there was golfers lined up behind us ( some golfers are oblivious of other golfers). I declared that it was too hot for a 5 hour round and we would start playing a 2 man scramble on the next tee.

The other 3 were relieved and happy about it. 

Made the day a lot less stressful and more enjoyable.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: