Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Oyster Bay from a s...

Oyster Bay from a source I trust  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
March 15, 2019 1:48 pm  

Was supposed to play OB Tuesday - had to cancel to work the college tournament at Surf Club. My golf buddy said that I didn't miss anything - course not in good shape that day. Fairways so so and greens slow and bumpy. Why can't the Legends people get this course straightened out. Maybe just a bad day.

He did say the food was good however.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
March 15, 2019 3:20 pm  

OB has had this situation since the new owners of Legends took over.  

OB is leased, so that must have something to do with it.   Maybe they get move profit 
per round at the other 4 courses?   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
March 15, 2019 4:54 pm  

A shame because it's an incredible layout. Always played OB and Marsh Harbor coming down in the 80's and 90's

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Estimable Member
March 15, 2019 11:24 pm  

It's been a bad 3 or 4 years.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
March 16, 2019 8:54 am  

I remember playing OB back in the 80's and there were conditioning issues then - maybe caused by over play?

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Eminent Member
March 16, 2019 8:34 pm  

For whatever reason I find the best time to play Oyster Bay is in July-August-September, and the worst time to play is in winter and early spring.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
March 18, 2019 10:08 am  

Gregg as you found OB is a course that requires TLC, bag drop guys say once lease is over the course maybe as well.  Love the layout and compared to last year it is 100% better but still shabby as they do not do much in terms of maintenance.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Estimable Member
March 18, 2019 12:09 pm  

Sad to hear, hope they do something with it. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
camy
 camy
(@camy)
Eminent Member
March 18, 2019 12:59 pm  

I have played Oyster Bay several times over the years... but the last 2 times the conditions were just average at best. As most know the clubhouse could use some TLC along with the golf course itself. I love the layout...staff has always treated us great...hopefully things will get better condition wise as i would love to make another return trip. Oyster Bay will always be special to me... it's the first course i ever played in Myrtle Beach.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
March 18, 2019 1:22 pm  
Posted by: leftygar1

Gregg as you found OB is a course that requires TLC, bag drop guys say once lease is over the course maybe as well.  Love the layout and compared to last year it is 100% better but still shabby as they do not do much in terms of maintenance.

Did they say how much longer the OB lease is?   

If a year or two, reduced maint might make sense, but if 5 or 10 years not so much. 

OB has been one of the busiest courses.   If play is down there, maint is the reason, 
since the Legends package is popular.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
March 18, 2019 1:48 pm  

If you can't grow Bermuda in the summer in MB - you've got major issues!

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Estimable Member
March 18, 2019 2:38 pm  

Art, the bag drop guys say 18 months to 3 years, never a straight answer.  The course this winter has been busy as any other we have played, it is just the poor maintenance that keeps it looking like a local muni back home.  Not even sure if they have a leaf blower there as the fairways are always a mess in terms of leaves.  Traps are seldom raked, we go back for 2 reasons, like the layout, and seeing the gators,  Last year it was a total mess, this year it has improved as I said 100%.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
March 20, 2019 7:08 am  

Got some inside info on OB - they have over 10 years left on the lease. They fired the superintendent and are searching for a new one. They plan on bringing OB back to good condition and after my discussion, I do believe it will happen.

ReplyQuote
lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
March 20, 2019 9:45 am  

Good to hear Undercover. Only the future will tell. Supposed to play it beginning of May but will be to early yet to see any differences.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Estimable Member
March 20, 2019 11:11 am  

Great news for golfers.

Bad news for the old superintendent 

Thanks for getting to the bottom of it UGP

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote