Oyster Bay  

RSS

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
11/29/2019 4:00 pm  

A cool morning to start off with ( 45 ) but sunny and maybe a one club wind.  Course was not overly busy and we teed off right on time, POP was 4 hours even.

I like the layout here even though the course is a work in progress, new Supt. is working hard the starters said but to many years of neglect have made his job difficult.  Tees were over seeded and green, but many are in need of smoothing out as your feet are above or below the ball in places.  Fairways were not over seeded so brown looking and we got some welcomed roll.  You did have to move the ball to get a good lie in many spots.  Greens were better then years past I felt, they rolled smoothly and if you had a downhill putt you did not have to hit it to firmly to roll it past the hole, they also held the shots coming into them.  Bunkers were raked and easy to hit out of, again work is needed to get them back to look not so old around the edges.  One thing we noticed and that was no leaves or debris on the fairways as we have seen over the years, made it look much better.  Will get back to OB for sure but not in a hurry for now.

lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
11/29/2019 4:32 pm  

Thanks for your reports Gary. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/29/2019 6:48 pm  

Excellent report Lefty - OB is a difficult course but great layout.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/29/2019 9:48 pm  

Good to hear about improved greens.   Odd they didn't overseed the fairways.  

Thanks!

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
11/30/2019 8:47 am  

@artmbgolf

Art, I was sure that they would have over seeded at OB, but it was just the tee areas they did.  They really do need to start to remove some trees so the fairways get more sun on them, more shade less grass on the fairways , sunny spots more grass right now.  Playable but on the thin side.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
11/30/2019 11:19 am  

So, Oyster Bay is a work in progress. I prefer to play on overseeded fairways. With the new superintendant, the conditions will improve over the weeks. Thanks for the update Lefty. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
11/30/2019 1:31 pm  

A possibility for not overseeding the fairways at OB is that maybe in the long run 
the fairways will improve during spring 2020 with no overseed on them.   But until 
grown back in, OB will get bad fairway reports.       

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
12/01/2019 11:40 am  

@artmbgolf

Yes I am also thinking that Art, some thin spots esp. where the shade is most of the day.  Back 9 fairways were better then front side for sure.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
12/01/2019 11:54 am  

Thanks Gary!

Let’s see the glass being half-full instead of half-empty!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
12/03/2019 11:48 am  

Thanks for the update Gary!!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: