Marsh Harbour  

Page 1 / 2

JKH75
(@jkh75)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  
IMG 1935

IMG 1934

Now that Midway Par 3 has been brought back to life we can only hope someday Marsh Harbour will rise again.

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

It would be nice.  Ocean Harbor is another course I miss.  Has anything been done with either property?

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
ZiggyGolfer
(@ziggygolfer)
Eminent Member

I believe Ocean Harbor had some leased park land used for the course and think they took it back. I also thin they are building homes on or around it as there a development call Homes at De Vaughn park up for sale.  I am sure Art may have more insight on this.  the sign for Marsh Harbor is still standing and from road very overgrown

ReplyQuote
JKH75
(@jkh75)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@tadpole Marsh Harbour has not been developed at all. Ocean Harbour has been developed and could not come back in original form.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @ziggygolfer

I believe Ocean Harbor had some leased park land used for the course and think they took it back. I also think they are building homes on or around it as there a development call Homes at De Vaughn park up for sale.  I am sure Art may have more insight on this.  the sign for Marsh Harbor is still standing and from road very overgrown

I visited DeVauun Park when they were starting to build, the story was that 
Ocean Harbour had a 99 year lease on the land that had 5 holes in the
Devauun Park area.   DP planned around those holes, calling them parkland.  
This was about 10 years ago. 

If you Google, clubhouse is still there (Blue Roof) and you can see a lot of the 
holes.  I don't know how old the photo is, but it says 2021 at the bottom. 
The DP holes look like they are still there. 

I don't know if anything has changed.  There is a lot of wooded land in the 
Ocean Harbour area, so it's possible they could build some new holes, if they 
could not use the DP holes.  Three of the DP holes are along the marsh, which 
might be why OH did that, to add scenery.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Would be nice to see Marsh Harbor re-open just to take a crack at hole 17 once more time.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member

a damn shame the owner played games with that property.

Never played it. Looks fantastic.

That area of the earth in southeast NC is Golf Heaven.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Here is a photo of a brochure of MH #17 par 5.    

As a 3 shot hole, it was about a white tee 3-wood, 7-iron, PW.    

I once made it across in 2 with a 3 wood and was left of the front  
of the green bunker.  Only made par.   
That was in the Persimmon Wood + Balata Ball era.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

JKH75 liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member

Before I ever went to MB ,  a co-worker would tell me.. "you gotta go play Marsh Harbor".

It was his favorite course

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

JKH75 liked
ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

In the 1980s, Dan Maples, one of my favorite golf architect, designed Marsh Harbour, Oyster Bay, the East and West Courses at the Pearl, Brick Landing, Sandpiper Bay, Maples Course at Sea Trail, and The Witch. I played all of them except Marsh Harbour. I regret that because i like what he has done as a golf course designer.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

JKH75 and jw11 liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member

This are some nice courses he designed. 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member

Yeah I loved Marsh Harbour. Although the marsh holes got a lot of publicity there were a couple other holes that were very good too (thinking #11 par 3 and #7 par 4).

Ocean Harbour's front nine could be revived. However several holes on the back nine have either been built on or are not accessible now because of the housing. The par-5 14th hole along the marsh has home sites staked out on and in front of the green.

JKH75 liked
ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member

Both Marsh and Ocean were fantastic layouts. I think in the current golf revival, they'd both be heavily played, but it seems as if southeastern NC has been hit or miss. The Big Cat courses, after much initial fanfare, are a wreck. Sea Trail has been a mixed bag over the years--great when I first went to MB in 1990 and then on and off sketchy. We know the problems Brick Landing, Sandpiper Bay, The Pearl, and Carolina Shores have had. River's Edge has been both great and not so great. And although just inside SC, Heather Glen had a relatively short shelf life.

Brunswick seemed to open as a bare bones course but now seems a solid layout. Thistle gets a lot of love, but I haven't played it. St. James probably made a brilliant move going mostly private.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

@lwildernorva

Thistle is certainly a great value. Give it a try on your next trip.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member

@s333h

Believe me, it's on the list to be checked off.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: