Looking for a Home ...

Looking for a Home Course  

RSS

pmaxryan
(@pmaxryan)
01/12/2020 10:35 pm  

I've been told this site is mainly for vacationers but I don't know where else to ask.   I'm considering a move to the Grand Strand area as I love the game and it seems like a golfer's paradise to live among so many great courses.  I'm not necessarily looking for a private club as much as I'm looking for a course that has a full tournament schedule such as a club championship, member-guest, member-member, etc. Are there any courses in the area that meet this criteria? Any information would be much appreciated!

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
01/13/2020 6:03 am  

Much depends on how much you want to spend and what part of town you want to live in. I live near Long Bay - it's a 20 minute ride to the main shopping area (Food Lion 3 minutes) and since I play all over, my average drive time in 25 to 30 minutes. If I was going to join a private club it would be Surf Club - it has open

games every day and a very full tournament schedule. For a semi private course, Farmstead/Meadowlands is a good choice. If you want to live south, look at Wachesaw Private or the Reserve.

I am extremely happy that I moved to MB - lots of golf and lots of games to find.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
01/13/2020 2:27 pm  

This is a good forum to ask, but with a lot of vacationer members, it's hard for us 
to know about which courses have an active membership.   Obviously the private 
courses are more into that, but when walking through locker rooms, I see 
evidence of handicaps and tournaments at a lot of the courses.    

Also read the 'Calabash Relocation' topic, for ideas about where to live in MB.  
It's a big area and it can be a hard decision on which area meets what you want.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
01/13/2020 6:58 pm  

Your best bet for a club that has a full slate of events will be a private or mostly-private club. I wouldn't even waste my time with the resort or public courses if you want a full slate of club events. Even Barefoot resort as big as it is didn't hold a club championship until last year and it looks like it was just a one-time thing. Truth is the public/resort courses don't care about whatever small # of members and will give preferences to the higher paying tourists. Sure some of them will hold a club championship, but they'll stick you out in a shotgun at 1pm in late July, or at 8am on a cold February morning.

Here is a list of private (or mostly-private) clubs:

Surf Club (best conditioned course on the Grand Strand, layout is average, 5% outside play, good course if you like to walk):  initiation 4k, monthly dues $305.

Dunes Club (great layout, lots of history here, hosted PGA senior tour events, great conditioning, great clubhouse & food, 20% outside play):  initiation 18-22k depending on equity stock price, monthly dues $605 (if you're under the age of 40 the monthly dues are lower).

Grande Dunes Members Club (ordinary layout, awesome practice range, excellent conditioning, access to ocean club, access to other McConnell courses around the country, new bunkers completed soon, new greens this summer, will be opening some times to the public probably in the 10-15%):  initiation 7.5k, monthly dues $350/single golfer, $474 family (if you're under the age of 40 the initiation and monthly dues are lower).

In the southern part of the Grand Strand there is Wachesaw Plantation in Murrells Inlet, Reserve Club in Litchfield, and DeBordieu at the far southern end of Pawley's Island. DeBordieu is an excellent layout with great conditioning. It is 100% private and priced like the Dunes. Wachesaw is a very good layout in good condition, is about 98% private, and pricing is closer to the Surf Club. Reserve Club is in great condition and is 100% private. Layout is average. Pricing probably similar to Grande Dunes Members since it's also a McConnell managed course.

When  you get closer to making a decision if you call each of the courses and let them know you're thinking of joining they will set you up with a practice round.

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by 1putt1

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
01/14/2020 7:50 am  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

You are very well informed 1putt1. Great information.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Bromano4
(@bromano4)
01/14/2020 9:03 am  

Depending on what part of town you decide to settle in is a big part. Allot of the daily fee courses offer annual memberships (True Blue/Caledonia for example) at a lesser financial commitment than that of the private clubs. But the access is obviously never an issue at a private club in town versus most daily fee memberships have some restrictions on member bookings.  good luck with your search

ReplyQuote
Share: