Local Scoop - The L...

Local Scoop - The Lakes CC (12/6/2019)  

RSS

1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
12/06/2019 8:52 pm  

This morning I played the Lakes Country Club in Boiling Springs, which is near St. James Plantation about half-way between Carolina National and Bald Head Island. The course was originally named Boiling Springs GC then became Fox Squirrel CC before changing once again to The Lakes CC. Front nine was built in 1962 and the back nine completed in 1975. The course doesn't get any notoriety because it's not connected to any golf packages (and because it's a lower-end course by today's standards), however, back in the 1980s & 1990s they did advertise regularly in On The Green magazine.

As for the course, the layout was definitely old-style with very small greens. Both nines went in a circular loop with no parallel holes. Most hole corridors were cut through stands of pine trees and had fairways of varying widths (some wide and some tight). There were a couple of good holes on the course but most of the layout was very ordinary. The layout reminded me of Brierwood (which closed down a couple years ago).

Condition-wise, this isn't a course you would want to bring a group to. However, it did have better conditions than Carolina Shores and probably on par overall with Azalea Sands and Palmetto Colonial Greens Charters. Greens were actually decent, reminding me of Possom Trot's greens in the last months before closing. They were very receptive to approach shots and actually had decent speed since they weren't overseeded and the Bermuda is starting to go dormant.

Tee boxes were in poor condition but the bunkers were surprisingly some of the best bunkers I've played out of with freshly groomed sand of the proper depth. Fairways were below average but there was always a spot to roll the ball to for a good lie. Fairways on the front nine were better than the back because it was not as wooded. No overseed meant no watering so no mud balls and a good bit of roll. Off the fairways the course looked in a state of disrepair, and the cart paths were bumpy.

As mentioned above, it's not a course you'd want to bring a group to, but is a good place for a beginning golfer to play or if you just want to cross it off the list of courses played in the three Grand Strand counties like myself. There were not many golfers out there as I finished all 18 in just over 2 hours, and the club house didn't have a restaurant or practice range.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
12/06/2019 9:53 pm  

I have thought about playing there, but since it was not on package and photos looked
poor, I never did.   

I wonder if a course like that might have one guy as the Owner/Mgr/Super and be
mostly a hobby.         

It was interesting to read about it.  Thanks! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
12/06/2019 11:10 pm  

Thanks for the heads up on this unknown

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
12/06/2019 11:12 pm  

They had one guy in the pro shop who was also the starter & cart guy. They also had what seemed to be five workers on the course: one smoothing bunkers, one cutting greens, one changing the hole locations, and two more working on a bulkhead on #18. Not sure how they can stay open with six workers and maybe 50 golfers paying $33 or less.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
12/07/2019 1:49 pm  

Thanks for this report Bob, we may head up for a cheapie round one day.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
12/08/2019 7:00 am  
Posted by: @mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

Not sure how they can stay open with six workers and maybe 50 golfers paying $33 or less.

Welcome to my course in Waco  - my super and I did it all with a couple of guys helping. It's tough to keep going. I was fortunate to sell my course for housing.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
12/09/2019 11:06 am  

Thanks for the update. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
12/09/2019 1:35 pm  

Thanks Bob for taking the time to report about a course I didn't know about!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
12/10/2019 9:18 am  

Thanks for this information. It is appreciated.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Share: