Local Scoop - Glen Dornoch (05/16/2019)

14 Posts
12 Users
1 Likes
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Went to the Surf Club after work only to find out they were closed for the member/guest event. So ended up at Glen Dornoch.

The positives:  hardly anyone on the course at this time was able to buzz 18 holes with a friend in under 3 hours. Tees, fairways and bunkers were in good shape. The layout as always is enjoyable. Price was right too ($39 w/local ID).

The negative:  greens were awful. I mean really awful. I would avoid playing until July if you want greens that are playable. I inquired with the bag drop attendant after the round and he said the greens were infested with worms that ate the roots. He said they sprayed insecticide and will be good again in a couple weeks but I suspect the recovery will take longer.

DenisGilbert reacted
Skippy
(@skippy)
Honorable Member

That's too bad. They were sketchy but playable 4 weeks ago.  

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

What few reports I have seen on Glen Dor have not been good, but Reports have 
sounded like the problems were related to winter dormancy and hard new greens. 

Maybe the worm problem has been there for awhile.   It's good they found it and 
hopefully that is the fix and not something else.   

I got hurricaned out of  playing Glen Dor last Oct, but it wasn't clear if they were good then.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

I don't play there very often, but when I have it's never been one of the better conditioned courses in MB.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update!

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Another great interesting insight Bob, thank you!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

That's too bad.

New greens and they get a worm-alert.

Very valuable information...good reason to check this site before you make a tee-time.

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

I like your local scoop 1putt1. However it is very bad news for Glen Dornoch

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Thanks for your take on GD it seems to be getting worse rather then better each year we are down now.

ReplyQuote
(@langille5)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the update. I really like the layout of the course. Its unfortunate the conditions seem to be lacking at times. Bad luck with the new greens and getting a worm problem.

ReplyQuote
(@rickatagf)
Eminent Member

Posted by: 1putt1

Went to the Surf Club after work only to find out they were closed for the member/guest event. So ended up at Glen Dornoch.

The positives:  hardly anyone on the course at this time was able to buzz 18 holes with a friend in under 3 hours. Tees, fairways and bunkers were in good shape. The layout as always is enjoyable. Price was right too ($39 w/local ID).

The negative:  greens were awful. I mean really awful. I would avoid playing until July if you want greens that are playable. I inquired with the bag drop attendant after the round and he said the greens were infested with worms that ate the roots. He said they sprayed insecticide and will be good again in a couple weeks but I suspect the recovery will take longer.

Any recent updates-- got a group of 40 playing Glen Dornoch on Tuesday, June 4th-- and this is a wee bit concerning!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

I might be playing there next Tuesday and will report if I do. However if 1putt1 reports you can take it to the bank.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'd be very surprised if the greens were decent by June 4th.

ReplyQuote
(@bobla1)
Estimable Member

I played Glen Dornoch Thursday morning with my wife. The outer edges of most, if not all the greens had little to no grass. Even where there was grass, the greens were bumpy. It's a shame, because I thought the rest of the course was in good shape.

ReplyQuote
Share: