LOCAL SCOOP-ARCADIAN SHORES 6.01.20

14 Posts
11 Users
4 Likes
Peter
(@say8pet)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Been chomping at the bit waiting for Arcadian Shores to reopen. Just to play "virgin turf." I believe it's been closed since the end of March. PoP was 3:40. Single tee. Was told double teeing would begin next week. One of my MB favorites. Sorry, no pics. Cart didn't have phone charger and I wanted the battery life for the gps app. CPO on just four holes today.

TEE TO GREEN: Tees in great shape. Fairways were also very good but there were some infrequent "spots" of ugliness. "Rough" also in great shape. Bunkers were immaculate! Perfect.

GREENS: I've always loved the greens here though I think they are among the "slowest" in MB. I prefer slower, more contoured greens. That said, they were very slow-especially the front side-compared to usual.

GRASS CAVEAT: Much of the rough was in great shape and mowed to perfect height but I never noticed how "sticky" it was. Not penal, but if you hit from the rough a solid shot was required. Like the greens, a nice change from most MB courses.

VERDICT: I don't know what "tier" AS is lumped into but I think it's a great value course-and one that could be slotted as a warmup/midweek/finale on any golf trip. Despite the recent disruption in their operations, I'm betting the course will be nearly perfect in 2-4 weeks time. One of the few MB tracks that never disappoints. Plus, in normal times, it offers so many close options for a post-round cocktail or dinner.

DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks @say8pet for taking the time to report about a course I do personnally appreciate!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Honorable Member

Very playable course really enjoyed last June with UCP. Thanks for sharing glad they back open.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

A very solid layout - I always enjoy playing at Arcadian

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

FGI temp closed some courses because they have 22 courses and visiters 
were not in MB.   What kept Arcadian Shores closed?   Isn't it owned by B&C?  

Thanks for your report!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

What kept Arcadian Shores closed?   Isn't it owned by B&C?

art, i do not know who owns Arcadian now and have not heard any "word on the street" as to why it was closed for so long. I do know that in the last two weeks there seemed a lot of maintenance being done. can't say if that was regularly scheduled or just in preparation of the reopening.

For much of april the course looked amazing from outside the fences. it appeared-maybe i'm wrong-that fwys/rough/greens were all cut at a uniform height while the boundaries were allowed to grow a little-like long wispy grass. it was just really visually unique.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

I would include AS as a middle tier golf course now. Not a lower tier course in my book. Since all the renovations, it offers a very good value. This golf course has turned the corner since at least three years.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Honorable Member

I love the Arcadian layout, old-style, one of my favorites in Myrtle. Just by chance I was passing by yesterday evening and stroked some putts on the practice putting green and also thought they were slow. Turf condition looked very healthy tee to green.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

We stay across from AS, play it often and since the tree removal and new greens it has been a superb value course for us.

S***H reacted
ReplyQuote
(@djr6648)
Estimable Member

Arcadian has gotten much better in recent years. We stay nearby so it is a course that we play several times each winter.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Prominent Member

I added Arcadian Shores to our October trip based on reports from this site.  Glad to hear they are keeping it in good shape and look forward to playing it this fall.  Thanks for the update.

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update on a course i have yet to play!

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Honorable Member

@jbshepherds Nice course you should give a shot think you will enjoy.

Brownwood Bandit

jbshepherds reacted
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

A very solid old style course - well designed and very playable.  couple of tough holes!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Share: