Clear all

Legends question  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Slider6294
(@slider6294)
11/13/2019 9:54 am  

Howdy everyone!

I posted back on here back in 2013-14 or so, and I know the forum moved, but we've played in MYR a few times and our buddy trip may be coming back next year. Question for you guys: in lieu of handpicking various courses and in an effort to mitigate driving as much as possible, what are your thoughts about consolidating at Legends?

We'd play Parkland, Moorland and Heathland, and drive to Heritage. 16 guys, some large handicap gaps from high to low. I've not played them before but they certainly appear to all have quite different personalities, obviously. 

We've used Brian before for our trip, and I'm certainly going to be engaging with him again too, but thought I'd reach out to you guys. Appreciate the thoughts and opinions!

1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
11/13/2019 11:44 am  

Legends offers great value ... really good courses at nice prices with breakfast, lunch & two drinks included. Heritage is a top 10 track (best to play on your last day), and all three Legends courses have interesting/fun layouts with good conditioning. If you're looking for a great deal the Legends package will deliver. Really the ONLY drawback you'll hear about Legends is pace of play can be slow since it's very popular and the traffic on 501 can be brutal in the afternoon.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/13/2019 12:35 pm  

The Legends package is very popular.   Most also stay there and talk about going to 
the Pub there and practicing on the range.    

There are restaurants nearby, like Sam Sneads. 

You have Dye style, links and traditional on the 3 courses.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
11/13/2019 12:40 pm  

You won't go wrong by going with a Legends package and I'm quite sure the vast majority of the Forum members will agree with what 1putt1 and Art wrote earlier in this thread!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
11/13/2019 12:57 pm  

I would 2nd 1putt1's point about slow play, but it's been several years since I've played there....due to p.o.p.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
11/13/2019 12:59 pm  

Go with what 1putt1 has stated, all the courses Legends have are worth the play.

ReplyQuote
Slider6294
(@slider6294)
11/13/2019 1:54 pm  

Thanks guys! 

I had read some very polarizing reviews, hence my asking. PoP was definitely a repeated concern and starting intervals of 8 minutes (which is ridiculous, IMO). 

The condos also got mixed reviews too; always hard to discern where reality lies with some of those user reviews online. 

Definitely Heritage on Sunday! We usually only do one round Sundays anyhow, because we do our awards banquet that night, so if we stay at Legends, then the drive to Heritage is easier with only one round that day. 

ReplyQuote
CBP Section 205
(@cbp-section-205)
Trusted Member
11/13/2019 2:19 pm  

Our group did enjoy.  Pace was not always an issue, but had its moments.  Food was pretty good considering, drinks, etc as well.  Pub was also a good time and certainly minimized any drinking/driving scenarios.  Driving range on site was a bonus and has lights.   We stayed in the condos.  They were fine.  Think the bed was just ok, but otherwise place was fine.  

Heritage is the best of the courses, and Oyster Bay is a fun course as well, although a drive to NC from the condos.  

Cncus liked
ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
11/13/2019 2:43 pm  

I always enjoy my rounds at Legends, employees are awesome, great range, great courses and decent food. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
11/13/2019 5:55 pm  

Can't go wrong with the Legends courses. Again POP may be an issue.

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
11/13/2019 6:57 pm  

I have played at The Legends in the past and I have found it to be kind of chaotic at the drop off. out of the last 3 times playing there ( early tee times also) They were not able to get us off on schedule. at the turn...There were 3 or more groups waiting to get out . It is like the Walmart of a golf facility. I'm sure that they try their best..but it always seems to be very unorganized.  The Clubhouse is older but for golf groups ...the lunch and drinks were fine. The courses are fun to play and usually were in nice shape. I've never played Parkland though only Moorland and Heathland.  Both of those courses were a good challenge and fun to play.

I thought that I heard that they were in money trouble or sold last year ? I don't know , maybe some improvements have been made since I was last there 2 years ago.

The Grumpy Monk  has a restaurant right outside the drive to the Legends and is an awesome place to go after rounds.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/14/2019 4:20 am  

You may want to look at which tees you want to play if you have high handicappers. The white tees play very long at Parkland ( which you may want to play first because of the very wide fairways) , and the par 3s are 210,205, 180 and 175 yards from the middle tees.

Maybe look at the scorecards and play a mixed set, or just play the Sr tees which are still 6000 yards.

The last thing a high handicapper wants is to hit a 3 wood or driver on every par 3.

Most people automatically play the "regular" tees and that is probably why there is a pace of play problem at times.

Great courses though and usually well maintained. 

Welcome back to the forum Slider...and let us know how it goes.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
11/14/2019 10:19 am  

I have never stayed at Legends but have played all 3 courses multiple times.  As Art pointed out, they are all 3 different style courses.  Moorland may be harsh on the high handicappers or anyone whose game may be off just a bit.  Main thing to do on all 3 courses is to play the correct yardages.  PoP can be hit or miss but I generally don't let that bother me.  The practice facility is huge

The breakfast buffet included with green fees is excellent.  The non-breakfast food is also very good.  Drinks are on par with any other good facility.  

Heritage is a great facility also.  Last time I played it was August, maybe year before last, and the conditions were not as good as I had remembered but were not bad...but again this was in the summer.  Not speaking about the greens, just overall conditions.  They also had a very good breakfast buffet.

ReplyQuote
Slider6294
(@slider6294)
11/14/2019 10:20 am  
Posted by: @jw11

You may want to look at which tees you want to play if you have high handicappers. The white tees play very long at Parkland ( which you may want to play first because of the very wide fairways) , and the par 3s are 210,205, 180 and 175 yards from the middle tees.

Maybe look at the scorecards and play a mixed set, or just play the Sr tees which are still 6000 yards.

The last thing a high handicapper wants is to hit a 3 wood or driver on every par 3.

Most people automatically play the "regular" tees and that is probably why there is a pace of play problem at times.

Great courses though and usually well maintained. 

Welcome back to the forum Slider...and let us know how it goes.

jw11

Great advice and thanks! Good to hear the intel. 

ReplyQuote
Dobbs2u
(@dobbs2u)
11/14/2019 11:46 am  

This will be my 10th year arranging a guys week in Myrtle Beach. We began going the first week of March and have now switched to the first week of April (better weather most years). Through that time we have moved around from condos at 1 year @ River Oaks, 3 years @ World Tour, 3 years @ Legends and now 3 years at Ellington in Murrells Inlet.

The over all experience at Legends is excellent for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. We booked early with Brian and he always gets our condos in close proximity to one another. I should mention our group size since 2013 has been at least 20 with this year currently at 27 with 1 spot open. One issue with the condos, if you are on the second floor there is no outside access, no balcony. Very few of the ground floor units had any "patio furnishings" to speak of. But the onsite pub was a bonus and there are plenty of eateries in the area.

I must admit our group ranges from 9 hdcp to very high (ie never broken 100) and there are days when members of our group may have caused some P.O.P problems, and you are all correct that choice of  T box is crucial for the higher hdcp's. There is a shuttle from the condos to the clubhouse (free but good idea to tip the driver) and the breakfast buffet is good, and the lunch is anything from the menu. In all it was a very good experience and we will be staying there again in years to come.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: