Notifications
Clear all

July 25 - July 30

Page 1 / 4

w082828
(@w082828)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It is unusual for our group to come in July, but we are doing it as our course in Florida is punching for the 2nd time.  Plus we've gotten a lot of rain in the past 2 weeks.  Plus 2 - The storm Elisa is headed our way tonight.  8 of us will be staying at Barefoot.  Here's our 'stout' schedule.

7/25     Barefoot - Norman

7/26     Tidewater

7/27     Barefoot - Dye

7/28     Dunes

7/29     Glen Dornach

7/30     Barefoot Fazio

Based on 40+ years at the beach, not a bad lineup.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

That's a great lineup. 

Check into the Play 3 BF and get a 4th BF free package.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member

If Glen Dornoch's the worst course you're playing, that's a heckuva trip!

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member

Very nice group of courses.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Looks great.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

An absolute great line up @w082828!

Can I have the right to be jealous? 😉

Have a great time!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

That is a heck of a lineup! I would be very happy to play that lineup! Hope your weather is good and your shots go on your intended line. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Estimable Member

I played BF Norman this past Sunday and it was in excellent condition. However they did aerate on Monday (July 5). Typically 3 weeks is enough time to recover but for whatever reason the Fazio course has been slow to recover, going on 4 weeks and still not all the way back.

Also Glen Dornoch has not been getting the best reviews of late.

Just posting as an FYI. Have a great trip ! 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @mperna2001

Also Glen Dornoch has not been getting the best reviews of late.

Just posting as an FYI. Have a great trip ! 

What are in the reviews about Glen Dornoch?  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Glen Dornoch is listed as aerifying the greens 6/16-6/17. 
Some golfers don't know the difference between aerified greens
and actual bad greens.     

Looking at Google reviews, there is a mix of good and bad reviews,
but none are specific.          

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

A bit disappponted to read these bad reviews concerning Glen Dornoch. Hoping that all will come back to normal in a near future.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member

I too am interested by the poor reviews for Glen Dornoch. There's no question the layout is beautiful--in many places other than Myrtle Beach and in its best condition, Glen Dornoch would likely be a top notch course in any area that didn't already have a US Open quality course--in my area, it would compare very favorably with three courses that have held USGA events, Bayville Farms, a high roller private club in Virginia Beach that runs inland about a mile from the Chesapeake Bay, and the Golden Horseshoe Gold and Green courses, both of which are in fantastic shape at the moment. Of course, within five miles of Glen Dornoch, there are two courses that are undoubtedly better, Tidewater and Surf Club.

Of course, that prime waterfront location, if combined with financial pressures, might affect both short-term maintenance and a commitment to longer-term maintenance as under those circumstances, I could see it going the way of Heather Glen.

I hope not. I agree with Art that some folks don't understand the difference between bad greens and recently aerated greens. Add in that many of the golf courses I've been playing in the last year--none in the Myrtle Beach area (I hope to change that soon!) but some around Raleigh, the Outer Banks, and Williamsburg--seem to have extended the decision made during the pandemic to ignore their bunkers. Now if there are some other normal miscues for a golf course--a tee or two that's a bit bare, mediocre maintenance of some of the cart paths, etc.--I could see some bad reviews for Glen Dornoch that might not necessarily mean that golfers should avoid the course itself or that you could question the long-term viability of the facility.

ReplyQuote
mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Estimable Member

The info is coming mostly from local golfers who are here year round and familiar with conditions around the area. I'd trust they understand aeration of greens and also respect their views as they have steered me right. Again, I've not played there since last fall where it was pretty decent but definitly not as well conditioned as many others in the area. That said the layout makes up for a lot of that.

A recent quote 'lots of weeds and crab grass, worst I've ever seen', another 'I've never seen the greens look as bad as they did today, we've played there for over 20 years and I'm actually a little shocked how bad it was'.

A lot of speculation (nothing new) around GD suffering the same fate as Heather Glen which would be truly unfortunate.

EDIT BY MANAGEMENT - the Head Pro at Glen Dornoch has set you up 1:00 tee time for FULL COMP to see that 99% of this post is incorrect. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by BNLongdriver

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

@lwildernorva 

Like you I can not imagine that Glen Dornoch will follow the steps of Heather Glen in a near future. But with all the development around Myrtle Beach presently i could imagine that the course will be purchase eventually by some building contractors. The view there is so beautiful, more than at Heather Glen. It is a prime waterfront location. Many would like to purchase a property there. It such a beautiful place. There is still too much golf courses in Myrtle Beach. The market will dictate the future at Glen Dornoch. But it will not be in short term, we will be able to play there some other years. Of course, it is just speculation of my part. 

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
BNLongdriver
(@bnlongdriver)
Administrator/Golf Director Admin

@mperna2001 

The Head Pro at Glen Dornoch has invited you to come play TODAY, you have a 1:00 tee time for FULL COMP to see that 99% of what you posted today is UNTRUE!! Please only post first hand knowledge of course conditions. 

Glen Dornoch is not closing soon ... That is a 6 YEAR OLD RUMOR. 

Heather Glen closed and was sold for 2 reasons:
1 - it wasn't making money and were having to pay in at the end of the year, instead of getting dividends. Dropping a non profitable business is good business. 
2 - the owner is 76 and his 1.5 mil investment in the early 80's made him well over $10 mill in 2020. So he's retired and enjoying his homes in Mexico and Scotland now ... 

Brian Noblin
Myrtle Beach Golf Talk
Myrtle Beach Golf Packagers
Tidewater Golf Vacations
844-706-7503

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: