Notifications
Clear all

Glen Dornoch 7.1.20  

RSS

Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
07/01/2020 4:37 pm  

Been a few years since I've played here. Forecast/recent aeration surely scared players off. The three of us got around in 3:40. CPO. Rakes(remember those?) by/in bunkers and no warning not to pull flags though the cups were inverted.

TEE TO GREEN: a couple tee boxes were damp. two were soggy where our markers were but not really a big deal-we just nudged it a few yards. fairways/rough were in GREAT shape. Again, maybe a few moist spots on some holes but nothing more than rolling your ball a foot. Bunkers also in GREAT shape.

GREENS: aeration was supposedly jun 18/19. It's been a long time since I've played on recently aerated greens but back in the old days I thought 11 days was "on the cusp." Not so today. They were bumpy and hell to judge pace-wise from one to the next. But that's what we signed up for on this day so no complaints. i wish i could give an estimate on when they will be sweet but dont know enough about that science to guess.

VERDICT: Glen Dornoch moved up a ton of spots on my personal MB list because of their customer service this week. When I made the tee time I inquired about about the greens (which I never do) and was told "they are a little bumpy." I made the tee time and was told it would be at the "aeration" rate-obscenely low for all you Yankees reading. Thank you to the staff and management there.

Memory declines as I get older. Much more wetland forced carries/layups than I remember. 16 has always been discussed but i never remember it feeling that claustrophobic on the approach. ate my lunch before i pulled the club back. was it always so narrow at the greensite?

S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
07/01/2020 4:59 pm  

I understand your deception concerning the greens. Not acceptable. Thanks for the report.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
07/01/2020 6:25 pm  

Thanks for the report.  Enjoyed playing this course.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
07/01/2020 8:10 pm  
Posted by: @s333h

I understand your deception concerning the greens. Not acceptable. Thanks for the report.

S***H

I believe Peter said GD  management was NOT  deceptive. .. and warned him of the bumpy greens FYI

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/01/2020 8:33 pm  

It's possible that the greens got aerated later than the planned dates, based 
on weather.   

The green on #16 has always been small for the shot required.  
If you are on the right side of the fairway, you are also looking over the 
pampas grass, that lines the hazard, so it looks like not much is up there.   
If hitting the green is not likely, you can play short left of the green. 

Thanks for reporting!   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
07/02/2020 2:29 am  
Posted by: @s333h

I understand your deception concerning the greens. Not acceptable.

i was probably unclear. the pro shop was very upfront about the status of the greens. I appreciated their honesty. My group all agreed we'll be going back in a couple weeks.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
07/02/2020 10:53 am  

Generally a game at Glen Dornoch is a good day, greens let you down and that's to bad, but overall GD is a nice course that brings you back over and over again.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
07/02/2020 10:56 am  

Thanks for your report @say8pet and glad that the people at Glen Dornoch had the courtesy of warning your group!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
07/02/2020 2:22 pm  

thanks for the update on a nice course. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
07/02/2020 4:28 pm  

@say8pet

Pardon me, i have probably not understand well. Sorry about that.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
07/02/2020 6:45 pm  

Love the GD layout.

No homes. Great waterway views.

A must play !

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
07/02/2020 6:50 pm  

Nice course but have not played it in several years. I thought #18 was a weird finishing hole.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Share: