Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

first timer  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

Chris14race
(@chris14race)
Eminent Member
January 9, 2019 2:49 pm  

cant decide between Thistle and Kings North, i have heard both are amazing, which should be my first play? thanks

Doug
 Doug
(@doug)
January 9, 2019 4:01 pm  

Thistle for me.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 4:04 pm  

Thistle has 27 holes, a more upscale clubhouse and on average better conditions,
probably due to less play.   

Kings North has more fun to play signature holes, more crowded clubhouse with 3 courses. 

I prefer KN, but try to play them both.   If your first time to MB, you will have a lot more 
interesting choices to make.   

This post was modified 3 months ago by ArtMBGolf

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Chris14race
(@chris14race)
Eminent Member
January 9, 2019 4:57 pm  

Yea first time to MB.  Was thinking of doing thistle first day then azalea sands and MBN west course second day. Or kings north first day, then Azalea and river hills second day 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 5:32 pm  

Thistle is a great facility, well manicured and a good 27 holes, however, IMHO it can't hold a candle to Kings North. Kings North probably has the best routing in MB and is usually in very good condition. For me there is no question. It looks like you really want to play Azalea - which tends not to be in great condition, and is an OK layout (other than 1 and 9). Azalea is a fast, easy, and inexpensive option. I'd go with KN, Azalea, and Thistle or River Hills (which I like better than Thistle and is more interesting)

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Chris14race
(@chris14race)
Eminent Member
January 9, 2019 5:37 pm  

Azalea just because it’s close to where we’re staying and cheap for our second round of the day.  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 5:41 pm  

That’s a good plan. The pro in the shop is really nice 

ReplyQuote
herdman
(@herdman)
Trusted Member
January 9, 2019 5:47 pm  

Kings North over Thistle in my opinion. Kings North is the better course.

ReplyQuote
lndnwd2
(@lndnwd2)
Member Moderator
January 9, 2019 6:16 pm  

KN and Azalea and River Hills is my choice. RH was an unexpected surprise and would play it in a heartbeat.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Trusted Member
January 9, 2019 6:23 pm  

I think Thistle is a much better course than Kings North - better shape, nicer clubhouse and less crowded.  The complex where KN is located is basically a golf factory with three courses run out of one clubhouse.  I do agree that the layout of KN is pretty nice but conditions vary because of heavy play.  That and you have the 501 traffic to deal with.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 6:35 pm  

The beauty of golf courses. Many opinions and you can’t go wrong. But I like a course that isn’t wide open and is more defined. Thistle has a better clubhouse and carts kn is a better course 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Reputable Member
January 9, 2019 7:52 pm  

For some lower cost courses, MBN West, MBN South, River Hills, Myrtlewood are all a 
lot better than Azalea Sands(one of the worst 2-3 courses in MB). 

If your goal is 36 holes and a lower cost 2nd round, play early and request a replay rate
on a sister course.  Play KN, then replay West or South.   Play Thistle, then get a replay rate 
for the 3rd nine or 18 more with 3rd nine and a repeat 9.    Or Play MBN West and get a replay on 
MBN South or Wild Wing.   

Replays can be harder to get in April, so the month you go affects replay options. 
Ask in the pro shop for replays, because besides sister courses, they work with other
nearby courses.    Same day replay rates are about 60% of regular rates, so you can replay 
on a decent course like MBN West for not too much more than Azalea Sands.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Estimable Member
January 9, 2019 11:54 pm  

If you really need to play a round close to where you are staying, play Beachwood instead of Azalea.

They are very close to each other and Beachwood is a better course.

Azalea is a bottom ,bottom tier course.

Call  or email Brian.

He can look at all the tee times and make it easy for you and steer you in the right direction.

You don't want a long drive to your second course the day you play 36.

His phone# is at the top of the home page here.have a great trip.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Reputable Member
January 10, 2019 6:29 am  

You choose Azalea for speed of play, less expensive, and less crowds - Beachwood is the better course

ReplyQuote
Chris14race
(@chris14race)
Eminent Member
January 10, 2019 7:09 am  

Thanks for all the responses!!!  Picked azalea because we were looking to spend around 100$ that day and try for 2 rounds.  Roughly 40 in morning and 60 afternoon rate at a nicer course. If we played a nicer one in the morning that would blow the budget for that day.  Also due to closeness and the fact that it will be our first full day there after our first night so there will likely be some hangovers that morning haha

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: