Notifications
Clear all

Diamondback 10/23/2020  

RSS

SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
10/26/2020 8:52 am  

Made the trek out to Diamondback from Murrells Inlet Friday afternoon with Mrs. Secondandgoal. A bit of a drive, but the $27 green fee more than offset the cost of gas. 

My line of thinking for Diamondback was mainly that a course a bit farther out is less likely to have big groups slowing things down. That turned out to be dead wrong, as there was a group of 16 that teed off about 45 minutes in front of us, and there were 3 groups waiting on the tee box by the time we hit the third hole. Wound up pairing up with a couple of great guys for the rest of the round after the backup. Credit to the course management, they got the big group moving, and after 3-4 holes of slow play, we were back to an acceptable pace, and wound up finishing at just over 4 hours for 18 holes.

As to the course, it's a fun layout. Definitely not just a grip it and rip it track. Lots of water in play. Conditions were solid, not nearly as wet as we feared it would be. Tee boxes and fairways were in very good shape, rough was a bit thin, especially as you got off toward the edge of holes, you weren't really punished for being just off the fairway. Greens were possibly the slowest I've ever played, stimping at maybe 6. Almost couldn't hit the ball hard enough. Short chips are my nemesis, and this was one of the few times in my life I found myself chipping instead of putting from just off the green because they were so slow.

Overall a good course, one I'd definitely play again, though I don't know that I'd make the hour drive specifically to play it again. 

jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
10/26/2020 11:40 am  

Thanks for the update on this course that isn't talked about a lot. Nice to see big groups going there so they course gets some play. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
10/26/2020 11:57 am  

The fairways at Diamondback can be very wet after some days of rain. However, the course layout is interesting. Have played there very often. Thanks for the report, i have enjoyed the read.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
10/26/2020 2:05 pm  

If the grass on the putting greens was mostly sticking straight up, it was 
probably new overseed for the winter. 

I also would think that large visitor groups would be more rare at DB than
at other more popular courses.   

Thanks for posting!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
10/26/2020 2:18 pm  

Thanks fo the report on Diamondback, it is a nice layout with some very good holes.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
10/26/2020 3:55 pm  

It has been several years since I played Diamondback.  It was not in good shape when we played it and our group voted it out of our rotation.  Within the past year there have been some good reports on playing conditions so we just might give it another shot.  

Thanks for the update.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/26/2020 7:29 pm  

I played DB one year ago and really enjoyed it.

The greens were very good and not slow. 

Looks like you just caught DB on a day that scheduled maintenance was on the calendar.

Glad you enjoyed the course though.

The Owner/Operator seemed like a really good guy when I talked to him and he told me all about the improvements they have made over the past few years {they have spent a lot of money getting this course right)

I root for people like that and I hope his course is successful from here on out.

Thanks for another report S.A.G.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
10/27/2020 10:49 am  

Nice report on a course I played last year. The course was in good shape and a joy to play would surely play again.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
10/27/2020 10:57 am  

Thanks for the report @secondandgoal.

Diamondback is a course that it is still on my "to play" list!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/28/2020 7:18 am  
Posted by: @jw11

I root for people like that and I hope his course is successful from here on out.

Diamondback is the little engine that could! I try and bring players there to support them - Patrick and his wife work very hard. It's a great layout in decent condition

Second and goal - you caught the course after they over seeded the greens and before they could lower the mowers. You'll see this all over MB through the next couple of weeks. I ran into it at Palmetto last week.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
SecondandGoal
(@secondandgoal)
Eminent Member
11/15/2020 9:57 am  

UGP, thanks for that info. I was wondering, as it seemed like a lot of the courses had slower than usual greens. Really screwed me up when we got back home and the greens on my home course were rolling at about a 12!

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
11/16/2020 11:01 am  

Diamondback remains a course on my "to play" list.  I'll try to get there this winter as we are headed down on 01/01/2021 for a four month stay.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/17/2020 7:35 pm  

Let me know - maybe we can hook up at DB

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/17/2020 10:08 pm  
Posted by: @dch1950

Diamondback remains a course on my "to play" list.  I'll try to get there this winter as we are headed down on 01/01/2021 for a four month stay.

DCH

DBack is an underrated course. If it were in Myrtle they could charge Tier 2/3 dollars.

Worth the drive for the scenery and value.

Play it early in your trip in case you are impressed . If so you may want to play it a few times

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Share: