Notifications
Clear all

Caledonia 6/27  

RSS

joe.d
(@joe-d)
06/28/2020 1:04 pm  

Played Caledonia with my father and brother for the first time in about 15 years. The course conditioning and ambiance was top-notch. It has been a very long time since I’ve played on greens that were rolling this fast and true. 

This may be a slightly unpopular opinion, but despite how beautiful the course is, the piece of land it was built on is too small for it.  I felt like there were too many places where tee boxes for multiple holes are right on top of one another. For this reason, I actually prefer the layout of Tidewater and Heritage to Caledonia.  

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
06/28/2020 1:20 pm  

Cal is squeezed in, but Stranz did a great job to fit it and keep it 
attractive.   

Thanks for your reports.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
06/28/2020 3:50 pm  

Thanks again for reporting and taking the time to express your opinion!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
06/28/2020 6:35 pm  

Caledonia is a different beast than Tidewater or Heritage. Everyone can have his opinion on this board. Popular or not.

Thanks for the report. It was appreciated.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
06/29/2020 11:21 am  

Your description of Caledonia seems about right and we also prefer Heritage and Tidewater over it.

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
06/29/2020 1:13 pm  
Posted by: @joe-d

This may be a slightly unpopular opinion, but despite how beautiful the course is, the piece of land it was built on is too small for it.  I felt like there were too many places where tee boxes for multiple holes are right on top of one another. For this reason, I actually prefer the layout of Tidewater and Heritage to Caledonia.  

Dem's fightin' words Joe. Yes, Caledonia is a small place. Nine and eighteen are letdowns to me but the rest are great.

I haven't played Heritage. Tidewater is solid. At the same price point, I'd play Caledonia 11 outta 10 times. I know it's irrelevant but just imagine what Strantz woulda done on that Tidewater property.

If anyone on this board has ever walked Tidewater, please announce it. Kudos to you. Talk about long green to tee treks.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
06/29/2020 6:18 pm  

Tidewater is a popular choice on this board. Still prefer Caledonia in reason of Mike Strantz.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
06/30/2020 1:56 pm  

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Cal is a great course. Only hole i dont like is the 9th. IT isnt terrible just dont like finishing holes like that on a course. 

Remember you are allowed to have and opinion that differs here, we accept it. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
06/30/2020 6:54 pm  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

Remember you are allowed to have and opinion that differs here, we accept it. 

Not sure I agree!!! LOL  Hard to beat Caledonia, but it isn't as high on my list as several other courses in MB. Doesn't mean it's not a great course - and unlike most, I think the 9th hole can be very interesting depending on the pin placement. Haven't seen many birdies there in my groups. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
06/30/2020 10:40 pm  

We don't know if designers think about the 9th hole design when designing
a resort course, to handle double teeing. They may also think that there
won't be a double tee in a tournament.   

There are a lot of normal to strong 9th holes in MB. 

The 9th at Cal yields a lot of pars + doubles.   

If you book early and request starting on #1 at Cal, you will usually get it.   
Brian can see what tee times are open on #1 and book you there. 
The course or starter might switch you later if you are a foursome or less,
but the bigger the group the less chance that they 
can switch you, even if they were tipped a lot.   This applies to every 
double tee course.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Share: