Clear all

Calabash relocation  

Page 5 / 6
  RSS

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
02/18/2020 1:10 pm  

This has been such an interesting thread.  It shows how valuable this site is for helping someone make an informed decision on important MB matters. I applaud all of you who participated and offered your opinions & advise.  

If I could move to MB I would hesitate to buy a golf course property because I would be concerned about the long-term viability of the course.  I would prefer to live elsewhere and become a member at a course.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
02/18/2020 2:35 pm  
Posted by: @bbbc

@undercover-golf-pro  thanks UGP.......pissed I forgot to go by there.  We may go back in July for a beach vacation and I'll go to Surf, Rivers Edge and Glenn Dornach.  

Because Glen Dornoch is challenging and a premium course on package, my 
observation there is that it isn't as popular with package golfers, so it may not 
be as crowded for you as other popular package courses.   It doesn't have 
housing, but there is a brand new development across the street on it's closed
sister course Heather Glen. 

I agree with Tadpole, that it's too difficult to try to combine housing with a 
course you want to join and just focus on in the area.   If joining a public course
like Brunswick, Sandpiper, etc, the decision will be affected by how many rounds
you play. If you play 100 rounds or less per year, you could just play on the
Passport with 48 hour rates or do that until you find a course you would join.           

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
02/18/2020 3:27 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro  Thanks for the offer and for sure I'll reach out to you !!

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
02/18/2020 3:31 pm  

@golfdawgz  Looking at their site I could see St. James plantation was a top location, just too far away from where I want to live.  I have 7 first cousins who migrated from the North to the Sunset Beach area over the last few years and want to be close to them.  Southport doesn't support that.

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
02/18/2020 3:41 pm  

@tadpole you are correct about getting information about the long term viability of the course.  I asked about that quite a bit.  No one can predict the future, the only negatives I heard from people were the Route 31 connection to Route 17 concern and if that happens where Hickman Road hits Rt. 17 then Meadowlands, FarmLands, Crow Creek or perhaps Brunswick Plantation could be affected.  No decisions yet.  Ocean Ridge Courses (the Cats) had questions about the owner's personal life impacts, Sea Trail is under new ownership but they are building like mad there, Brunswick Plantation got a new owner a few years ago and the guys there said it's going great, Thistle owner has deep deep pockets, lives there and is all about the course....just antidotes but unless someone has the inside line, no one really knows.  I always wanted to live on a course and watch from my deck people playing.  The condo we rented at Brunswick Plantation overlooked one of the greens and I really enjoyed watching the players so that's what I'm going to do, get a place on a course.  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
02/18/2020 3:43 pm  

I heard from people were the Route 31 connection to Route 17 concern and if that happens where Hickman Road hits Rt. 17 then Meadowlands, FarmLands, Crow Creek or perhaps Brunswick Plantation could be affected. 

Story I got was that the courses were not going to be affected by the 31 extension - but one never knows about government work!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
02/18/2020 3:59 pm  

@artmbgolf  I agree, combining house and course/community is a challenge but not impossible.  There are so many possibilities and options that what one prefers is there if you look, ask, gather as much info as you can, it fits your budget and timing is right.  One thing I haven't talked about is home quality.  It's an area I'm familiar with. There is so much variation in build quality.  I stopped by a some houses under construction and was under impressed at what I saw in some places and very impressed in other places.  I met with some builders and the area has some really good custom builders but also has some quick throw the place together with low income labor "track" builders.    If I was buying a house already built I'd want to know who built it because you can't see behind the walls.  I'm leaning toward buying a lot somewhere and  building a house using a quality custom builder so I know what I'm getting.  For example, Devaun Park in Sunset Beach (off the island) is a nice neighborhood, no golf course, the new houses going up I would avoid but one I saw in there  already built is a custom built in 2008 and is a fantastic house. I researched the builder, spoke to him, stopped by a house he was building and was impressed.  Does he charge more ?  Of course, but not that much and it's worth it.

ReplyQuote
ZiggyGolfer
(@ziggygolfer)
Eminent Member
02/19/2020 1:58 pm  

I agree with the study of the area you are doing as I have done the same thing. I've checked into the Flood issues, route 31 extension, how far away from the hustle and bustle, traffic  etc. I however do not require a Golf community so a little different plan. Also from the research and what I have heard the extension is still in the study range, and then to define which of the plans to pursue of the many out there before any construction starts and always appropriating the moneys to build so it may be 10 years or more away.

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
02/19/2020 2:21 pm  

If you're interested in a lot and building a custom home there are homesites still available in River Hills. Since I just built a custom home I can recommend several area builders long with a designer/architect to help draw up the plans so you can send out to builders for quotes.

Here's a listing of homes & lots available in River Hills:

https://www.myrtlebeachmls.net/search/results/?city=Little+River&neighborhood=River+Hills&type=res&type=lnd&list_price_min=all&list_price_max=all&area_min=all&beds_min=all&baths_min=all&new_property=all&pool=all&lot_location=all&short_sale=all&high_school=all&middle_school=all&elementary_school=all

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
02/19/2020 7:16 pm  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer Thank you !

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
03/24/2020 10:43 am  

@golfdawgz

You are right on St. James being a very good golf facility, played 2 courses there and conditions were wonderful, to get on now is difficult the Pro Shops told me this winter.

ReplyQuote
bbbc
 bbbc
(@bbbc)
Eminent Member
08/07/2020 5:43 am  

Update......purchased in Thistle, thanks for all the input.  Look forward to the transition.

ReplyQuote
wolverine12
(@wolverine12)
Eminent Member
08/07/2020 10:41 am  

Congrats bbbc.

I have a couple of friends that have moved down to the area in past few years,  1 is a retired USMC, he bought in Winnabow at Mallory Creek just south of Wilmington, other bought in Longs at Plantation Pines across Rt 9 from Colonial Charters.  Both nice places, MC was a new construction, PP was there for a bit & my buddy put a few $$$ in on cleanup & renovations from previous owner.  I've been visiting them as much as possible. 

Frank

ReplyQuote
machood
(@mac)
Eminent Member
08/07/2020 11:33 am  

If living in a golf course community is important to you make sure the facility is deed restricted to always remain a golf course or you could end up with condos in your backyard. In fact, Seatrail lost a driving range a while back at the Maples course in the developers desire to have more condos.

Caveat Emptor...

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
08/07/2020 2:41 pm  

Update......purchased in Thistle, thanks for all the input.  Look forward to the transition.

Congrats!  Nice place!

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share: