Notifications
Clear all

Brick Landing  

RSS

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
11/12/2019 6:16 pm  

Just read on myrtlebeachonline.com that Brick Landing will close at the end of the year.  Not much of a course but another one bites the dust.

S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/12/2019 8:06 pm  

Sadly, it is a trend that continue.There was a lot of closings in this geographical area. It is far away from central Myrtle Beach. And for the same rates you can play nearer. Competition is there. It is the law of the market. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/12/2019 9:23 pm  

The Brick has never been popular.  
Many don't like short, tight, few driver holes. 
For at least 10 years, with several new owners, it has been poorly maintained. 
They actually installed new greens in 2018, but I have not seen them. 
Looks like that didn't save the course.    

Thanks for sharing the news.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
11/12/2019 10:01 pm  

It looks like there are two potential buyers, one that supposedly will keep the course open.  I last played there during a Passport Tourney two or three years ago.  It was not in good shape.  The design is kind of interesting/different but conditions were lousy for a long time.  The view from the clubhouse is fantastic.  Maybe someone with deep pockets is willing to invest and turn things around.  

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
11/12/2019 11:01 pm  

Thanks for the scoop and additional guys.

Have never played The Brick, although my parents used to like it in the 80's or early 90's

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/13/2019 4:08 am  

Played there last year after the new greens which were good but painfully slow. The rest of the course was in bad condition - which was a shame because it is an interesting layout. Can't imagine anyone could make money out there. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
11/13/2019 12:29 pm  

I was thinking that they like to keep the course open, no matter how bad the
conditions and lack of play, as a way to help sell parties/weddings in the clubhouse,
which they advertise.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
11/13/2019 12:43 pm  

Haven't read a lot of stuff about that course here, but this is no good news to see another course closing.

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
11/13/2019 12:57 pm  

Played the Brick a few years ago, tee shirts in the Pro Shop had the logo and saying " It takes balls to play the Brick "  recall some tightish holes with funny doglegs and yes lost a few balls between 3 and 16.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
11/13/2019 2:45 pm  

Dog eat Dog business and Brick was wearing milk-bone undies. Still sad to see, never read much or had desire to play there ever. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
11/13/2019 2:57 pm  
Posted by: @jbshepherds

Dog eat Dog business and Brick was wearing milk-bone undies.

Never heard that line - I like it!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Trusted Member
11/14/2019 10:33 am  

Brick was the very first course I played in my first World Am in 1988.  It was definitely quirky.  Thinking back, this last failed attempt might be the 2nd time to keep it alive that hasn't panned out.  Hate to see any course go away.  Had thought about playing it back in August but reports on conditions kept me away.  

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
11/15/2019 12:45 pm  

Hopefully there is someone that can keep it alive. Great views from the clubhouse. Location and condition make it a tough sell. It’s located in an area where fishing is probably the more popular sport. 

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
11/15/2019 1:32 pm  

I played it several times about 15-20 years ago. Conditioning was a problem even then. Although it's not the worst course I've ever played, I'd have to say only Azalea Sands beats it as the worst course I've played in Myrtle Beach. I that's an astonishing statement to make since there were a number of good holes hiding under the bad conditions, and the course finished along the water at 18. You'd think that with the proper conditioning, it could be a very good course, maybe even a top 25 in the area, but it was far too remote from central and southern Myrtle Beach to be worth that kind of drive with poor conditions.

ReplyQuote
Share: