Barefoot Dye 7-17  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
07/22/2019 12:52 pm  

Where to start, Barefoot Dye, it was a sauna today, stepped out of the car and started to sweat. Could have used a few changes of clothes. 

It is a very secluded course,  neat to arrive to. The Pro shop and bag drop employees where very nice and informative. The range balls where included, range was kinda smallish and packed having an early tee time. 

I played with my BIL, a guy from Ohio and one from North Carolina all stand up dudes. So as we get started it was the don't play fast, you will wait to get out the back. I am like cool, take our time. People behind didn't get the speech, they were up our butts all day long. 

I was highly disappointing in the course, I am a Dye course groupie. Each one I play i want to play again and again, this one no way.

The conditions where not what I expected, the tee boxes were spotty, not terrible. The Greens where sandy and inconsistent, up hill putts rolled fast, down hill slow. I was confused all day, but if they heal up good they will be nice to great. Fairways and rough were in nice shape, rough was penal, avoid at all costs. Bunkers looked like they haven't been worked on in weeks. Hard, washed out and almost impossible to play out of, i played it like a chip shot.

I felt the routing was very nice, it was thought out and done well. I feel with some  healing of greens and fixing up the Bunkers it could be a good deal. I was surprised to hear this was not one of the more played of the four courses, Love and Fazio where played more often. 

All in all i was a good day, i played ok not great, not terrible. It was a course i left wanting more but not a course i will go back to play. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
07/22/2019 12:55 pm  

Hope you'll get another opportunity to play there my friend!

Thanks for the report!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/22/2019 3:21 pm  

JB - Not sorry I missed that round with you. No one knows this, but I AM NOT A DYE fan!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/22/2019 4:46 pm  
Thanks for reporting. I am not a fan of the Pete Dye courses. They are tough to play. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/22/2019 4:50 pm  

It's not about tough - there are a lot of tough designs out there - it's about unfair - which is OK too if that's your thing. Much of the unfair comes into play if you are on the wrong set of tees.

Don't get me wrong - Dye has designed many great holes, he just usually screws some of them up somewhere!!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/22/2019 4:54 pm  

I understand UGP. At Barefoot i prefer the Fazio course. Just a preference.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
07/22/2019 7:03 pm  

Dye is visually stunning, , like a beautiful woman... and (both are) hard to score on.

Fazio is visually appealing,  and easier to score on.

Thanks for reporting Sheppy.

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/22/2019 7:09 pm  

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I don't find the Dye course visually appealing. And I married a beautiful woman - so there's that!

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
07/22/2019 7:21 pm  

How do your really feel about the Dye course UCP!  LOL

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/22/2019 7:50 pm  

Ugly but fun from the senior tees 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
07/22/2019 8:53 pm  

BF Love + Fazio usually get the higher "best of" rankings, group leaders may be 
careful to skip Dye, since some in the group may not like it and/or groups prefer
the 3 course BF Resort for replay options.    

Thanks for your reports. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Eminent Member
07/30/2019 2:43 pm  

Completely disagree with the OP here. played on July 13 and yes there was 1 or 2 tee boxes not great,  particularly #17, but overall did not see any issues with fairways or greens. Most were in very good shape although fairways a little bit wet in spots due to the many storms passing thru the week leading up to the round. Still was 90 degrees. Dye is actually pretty wide open if you take the right lines off the tees and i am by no means the straightest hitter. where it can get rough is if you are real wild off the tee or into the greens. then there could be some pretty penal places to play from but that is part of Dye's design. My frustration was the mismanagement of the double tee. played front 9 in 1:40, 2nd 9 in 2:30. not good. Also the snack house under the clubhouse was not open when we made the turn. On a Sat. morning ? Fond that quite odd. Played Love the week prior and will personally take the Dye course over Love any day. This said this is what makes Barefoot special, 4 courses which each player can rank anyway they like.  

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
07/30/2019 4:53 pm  

I prefer also the Dye course over the Love course. My favorite is the Fazio. It is a great design. 

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/30/2019 6:44 pm  

I wouldn't mind being buried on the Fazio course - but not for a very long time.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
08/01/2019 2:22 pm  
Posted by: @mperna2001

Completely disagree with the OP here. played on July 13 and yes there was 1 or 2 tee boxes not great,  particularly #17, but overall did not see any issues with fairways or greens. Most were in very good shape although fairways a little bit wet in spots due to the many storms passing thru the week leading up to the round. Still was 90 degrees. Dye is actually pretty wide open if you take the right lines off the tees and i am by no means the straightest hitter. where it can get rough is if you are real wild off the tee or into the greens. then there could be some pretty penal places to play from but that is part of Dye's design. My frustration was the mismanagement of the double tee. played front 9 in 1:40, 2nd 9 in 2:30. not good. Also the snack house under the clubhouse was not open when we made the turn. On a Sat. morning ? Fond that quite odd. Played Love the week prior and will personally take the Dye course over Love any day. This said this is what makes Barefoot special, 4 courses which each player can rank anyway they like.  

I never said there was a problem with the fairways, they were in nice shape. The greens i had were sandy and rolled terrible. I said the tee boxes where spotty but not terrible.

I had same issue with Tidwewater last year caught it at a bad time, loved the course but wanted to play it when it was in its normal shape. Again we are all allowed to like or dislike a place. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: