Arcadian Shores- Ha...

Notifications
Clear all

Arcadian Shores- Hardest hole

Page 2 / 2

Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member

I wonder if people put too much pressure on themselves on the tee of 13. I try not to get cute. Just try to land it square on the 150 post because it's flatter there and I have the sense I'm looking down at the green. Easier said than done, I admit.

I rarely see the pin in the back of 2. When it's there I get suckered into a poor decision.

Between the two, 13 is harder I believe.

P.S. Personally, 15 eats my lunch every time. We dislike each other intensely.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
djr6648
(@djr6648)
Trusted Member

# 13 gets my vote. Even if you get over the water there can be trouble. A couple of years ago I made it over but I was above the hole in the rough. It didn’t turn out well. I still ended up with a bogey.

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member

Definitely number 13 for me, especially the first time you play it. On the card, it looks like a standard par-4 with a pond fronting the green. Of course, after you've hit the tee shot, you see that's not the case. From then on when you play the hole, you really can put pressure on yourself on the tee shot because you know that if you don't pull off almost exactly what you know you need to do, you're going to have a difficult approach. As others have noted, it's not just hitting it short or too much left or right--if you hit too long and get on that severe downslope between the 150 marker and the pond, your stance is going to be uncomfortable even though you know you can hit the distance you need to clear the pond.

With number 2, the shot is long and over a lot of water. Difficult, especially because it's early in the round and more especially if your natural shot is a fade or slice. But there's no uncertainty about the strategy you need to use, just whether or not you can hit the shot you have to hit. For me, 13 is tougher because the design of the hole can easily mean that both the strategy and the ability to hit the shot can become uncertain.

I know Arcadian made a big splash when it debuted back in the 1970s, and I suspect that 13 was one of the reasons why.

This post was modified 1 month ago by lwildernorva

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

@lwildernorva

I agree with you. To make your second shot when you are too downhill is not easy. Most golfers will send their ball in the lake, if they do not know how to hit this shot. Probably one of the toughest shot to do on this course.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member

Played Arcadian Shores many times over the years, I love this Rees Jones layout.  For many years, it was always the first course played during our April stay as it was located close to our ocean front rental.  The greens complexes are so interesting, challenging and yet they look like they all belong there, fit nicely into the landscape.  When I first played it back in the 1980's it was a Top 100 golf course.  Through the years, the development which surrounds the property has diminished the experience with lots of vehicle sounds, the fire station, etc.  It was never serene but now it's noisy. Through the 1990s the course condition suffered but the greens renovation, tree removal and branch removal program have provided a wonderful experience again. Also, the new clubhouse is a real pleasure compared to the former structure.

#2 and #13 share one characteristic:  shot value.  The tee shot on #2 is intimidating, especially when the pin location is far right, don't wipe one off the tee and don't chunk one.  The second shot on #13 is always difficult; a flat lie at 140-155 yds over water... my hands are shaking just thinking about it.  If catch a good one off the tee, you can end up with a downhill lie to be feathered in over water... my hands are still shaking.  

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: