A little north but ...

Notifications
Clear all

A little north but Magnolia Greens or Cape Fear National in Leland

Dsuitch
(@dsuitch)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have info on these courses and current conditions?

Golf junkie and soon to be retired insurance agent.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Cape Fear is a premium course. 
Mag Greens is about mid-level for MB.  

Also up that way, a few miles up 140 is Compass Point, a sister to Mag Greens. 

I don't know the current conditions.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
BrewCrew
(@brewcrew)
Estimable Member

Can't help with current conditions, but I would highly recommend Cape Fear.  Played it a few years back it and can't wait to get back again.  The course was beautifully landscaped and in tremendous condition when we played.  When we played the wind was howling, which made for quite the challenge.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member

Cape Fear is a must IMHO!

Another suggestion in case you’re looking further up north : River Landing (in Wallace, near HWY 40).

Have fun!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
hookybass
(@hookybass)
Trusted Member

How far is Cape Fear from NMB?

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Posted by: @hookybass

How far is Cape Fear from NMB?

It's about a 1:15 drive from the Cane Patch/The Dunes area. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member

Magnolia Greens isn't worth driving to.

It's not bad but there are much better courses up and down the Grand Strand and there are plenty of comparable courses much closer to anywhere you might be staying.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

@uncgolf

I agree that there are many other options. There are three 9 hole courses at Magnolia Greens. Last time that i have been there, i played the Azalea Course and the Camellia Course. On the Azalea Course, the fairways are lined with trees which make accuracy a must. The Azalea Course has a nice layout. But on both courses, the fairways and bunkers were very wet. There is a drainage issue on several holes. The greens were nice but their speed were different.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member

Cape Fear National, Magnolia Greens and Compass Pointe have not been on my schedule this winter season yet I'm sure it will happen before the end of April.  CFN is a Tim Cate beauty, 18 great holes that are interesting and challenging.  It's always been a treat to play.  As for MG and CP, it's definitely a step down in quality by comparison, usually no overseeding, painted greens, and sometimes they look beat up.  Personally I enjoy CP over MG as CP does have 3 or 4 holes with some elevation changes that make for more challenge.  

ReplyQuote
Frostyjock
(@frostyjock)

Cape Fear would be a top 10 MB course if it was actually located in what we'd view as being the MB area. It's not that far away if you stay in NMB as we do when we visit (it says 1hr 13mins from Barefoot when I googled it which seems long but maybe we just drove fast) and even if you are staying south of NMB it's worth the trip. I rank it higher than Caledonia for layout.

Not a course you will get away with spraying the ball around on - there is housing on some holes that can make it play tight in places and also water to deal with wayward shots. It never feels busy there - more as if you are playing at a private course which I suppose it is in a way. Very good practice facilities too.

A nice clubhouse with a good bar area that serves very nice food - think they have a good kitchen as they have a restaurant within the clubhouse that I presume does good business with the residents.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member

Cape Fear - Magnolia is a good public course but Cape Fear is a great course

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Go with Cape Fear, a very nice course, Magnolia had good greens when we played but the layout is drab compared to CF.

ReplyQuote
Share: