Clear all

3 weeks to go

Page 2 / 2

Vtgolfnut
(@vtgolfnut)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@artmbgolf

just heard from my packager that Grande Dunes is going to close this summer and replace their greens

they must have been really bad!

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member

@denisgilbert She is doing great, better then expected. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

jw11 and DenisGilbert liked
ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member

I call to check on Grande Dunes greens and was told they are not replacing them this summer. Also Brian had not heard anything either.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member

I can't believe how much they're charging to play Grande Dunes. Every review I can find says the greens are almost unplayable and yet they're still charging $100+ to play there. If the greens are as bad as people are claiming, I'd head back to the pro shop after one hole and demand a refund then find somewhere else to play.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

I posted about what I saw at Grande Dunes.  I think with aeration, top dress, 

fert, warm weather, the greens can be nursed back.   They were not dead and
plenty green from a distance, just not smooth. 

Now if they feel the soil is no good, then maybe then they would decide to replace, 
if they think this will continue.   It's possible they did a really bad aeration job, 
that ripped or pounded dimple in the greens, instead of simple aeration 
holes.   

It would be interesting to hear what happened, but they were not talking info to me. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member

@artmbgolf

I've read similar reviews elsewhere -- one report said the collars were encroaching onto the greens and there were patches of dead grass/dirt. It didn't sound like a simple poor aeration, but who knows.

Regardless, it reflects very poorly on management for them to continue to charge high prices when they know the greens are in terrible condition. Most courses offer a significantly reduced rate while the greens are recovering from maintenance.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

@uncgolf

Fairway Bermuda grass is encroaching on greens at a number of 
courses, along with fairway bermuda spots in the greens. 
This isn't affecting play right now, but is a longer term problem, since
those spots will grow and be a different color.         

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

uncgolf liked
ReplyQuote
uncgolf
(@uncgolf)
Eminent Member

@artmbgolf

They'll also likely putt at a different speed across the different strain of bermuda as well as potentially create bumpier conditions.

As I said, though, my biggest concern is the price at Grande Dunes. I see they're still asking for $99 for Passport members which seems like highway robbery for poor greens, especially when there are so many other good courses in the area to play instead.

Of course, I haven't played at the Grande Dunes Resort course in 10-15 years anyways because I don't think it's a very good value even if the conditions were perfect. There are much better courses in the area that charge $30+ less to play (King's North, Prestwick, Pine Lakes, Rivers Edge, and some others). It's priced in line with places like Barefoot, Tidewater, and Caledonia, and I don't think it's comparable to any of them. They're in a separate class from Grande Dunes, at least to me.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: