27 July 2020 - Arcadian Shores  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/30/2020 3:37 pm  
Posted by: @kio57

I've still never hit the 13th green. AS is sort of a permanent on out play list as it is so close to where we stay.

I might not have hit AS #13, nor seen anybody hit it in 2.   

It's confusing when remembering wedge shots to the green after
laying up out of the trees.   

That pond has to be loaded with balls.   

There is usually a drop area on the other side, if you are in a match
and want to avoid a big number.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
07/30/2020 10:40 pm  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

There is usually a drop area on the other side, if you are in a match
and want to avoid a big number. 

True, Art. It's one of the reasons I really don't like the hole that much. Especially if you tug your tee shot left-even into the trees-your best option is to intentionally dunk one in the pond instead of chipping out to the fairway, still leaving that tough approach.

The drop area next to the green is a joke (I'm sure it's there to speed up play). It's VERY easy to two-putt from the drop area because the grass is always trampled down by players entering/exiting the green as the cart path is maybe three yards from that drop spot. Because of this, the approach doesn't scare me at all. If I rinse it, drop, two putt, and suffer a bogey.

Also, I'm not a fun of the bunker behind the green. Never been in it or ever seen anybody in it but I just don't think it "fits."

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member
09/08/2020 6:15 am  

UPDATE 9.7.20.

AS still in great shape. Greens rolled on the quick side--and consistent through all 18. Rough isn't that deep but thick and "grabby." Bunkers were in pristine condition because we were third group off. PoP was 3:30...on a perfect, slightly breezy HOLIDAY morning.

P.S. birdied 13...again. ho hum. still don't like the hole.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
09/08/2020 1:52 pm  

Thanks for the update!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
09/10/2020 12:30 pm  

@kio57

It's a heckuva hole. To get a flat lie, you've got to stay back a bit; to get closer, you're almost certainly facing a downhill lie unless you know your driver or 3-wood yardage on the nose and can get to the lower level without running it into the pond.

ReplyQuote
1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Estimable Member
09/13/2020 8:00 pm  
Posted by: @artmbgolf
Posted by: @undercover-golf-pro

At one time AS was listed as one of America's top 100 courses. It also plays tougher than it looks

That was in the early 1970's.   
It's probably better now than ever. 

Arcadian Shores was ranked in the top 100 by Golf Digest in 1975, 1977, 1979, and 1981. My first round there was in 1979 and I believe the greens were bent grass. I think the greens are better today but the fairways & rough areas were better back then.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: