2020 MB Golf Rankin...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 MB Golf Rankings  

mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

2020 was clearly not the best year and unfortunately it seems that 2021 is picking up right where it left off. With that said 1 benefit of Covid for me is that I've been able to spend much more time at my home away from home, working and playing golf in MB. I played considerably more rounds in MB in 2020 than ever which was quite nice. There are some decent courses in the Charlotte, NC area but not even close to what we see in MB.

Knowing how much this forum loves the MB courses and a good discussion on which ones are best (and not so much) I put together a Rankings for the ones I played in 2020.

The criteria I used was layout, conditions when I played, staff and experience. Some rounds you just remember more than others. Doing this I realized just how lucky we are to have so many really, good, diverse courses to choose from. There are some in the middle of the pack which I could play over and over again if not for so many choices. 

Anyway, here is my list, feel free to debate away, agree, disagree, call me nuts....

I used parenthesis where I played more than 1 round.

Hope you enjoy.

True Blue

BF Dye (2)

BF Fazio (3)

Grande Dunes

Rivers Edge

MBN - Kings North

BF Norman (2)

BF Love (2)

Farmstead (2)

River Club

Thistle

Glen Dornoch

Wild Wing

Myrtle - Palmetto

Wizard

Myrtle - Pine Hills

Blackmoor

Tigers Eye

Sea Trail - Jones

International Club

Brunswick Plantation

Sandpiper Bay (2)

Eagles Nest

Panthers Run

Leopards Chase

River Oaks

The Pearl

Beachwood

Crown Park

The 2021 list begins this Sunday at Arrowhead. 😀 

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member

Looks like a good sequence to me, with none way out of line. 

We know Leopards Chase has been getting bad reviews for conditions,
otherwise it would be higher on our lists.   

The Pearl could be a little higher, so I am guessing conditions weren't so good.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the report.  Don't have any problems with the listing order.  I will say that the last time I played Sandpiper Bay (Oct 2019) it was in very nice shape with good greens. They do have a problem with tree roots in the rough.

ReplyQuote
Peter
(@say8pet)
Estimable Member

first blush-true blue is always number one...but how do you play that and not caledonia?!

argument wise...i'd have thistle ahead of norman/love.

couldnt agree more on the quality in mb. love it when golf snobs disparage even the "middle tier" courses.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

I like your ranking, however i would rank Fazio better than Dye because the latter is lot more difficult to play for an average golfer. The Pearl should merit a better rank, maybe like Myrtlewood Palmetto. Both have a good routing. But i recognize that it is subjective, each golfer has his preferences. Waiting now for your 2021 ranking. Hoping that you can play The Dunes this year.

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

Your list is pretty spot on, we all have our favorites and not so favorites, I'm guessing you have yet to venture down to play Heritage.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member

@mperna2001 : Be assured, I'll never call "Nuts" a Myrtle Beach golf lover! 😉

That said, can we have the right to be just a tad envious?

Thanks for taking the time to share!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member

Surprised Pearl was towards the bottom.

Im beginning to worry about Pearl.

Beatiful piece of property.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member

The ranking of courses is a fun exercise; it's gets a little tougher to sort out the lower tier as the differences in placement are so subtle.  I completely agree about Barefoot Fazio as I find it a more enjoyable experience when compared to Barefoot Dye.  The placement of The Pearl seems a bit too low but I understand that certain days the overall experience is adversely affected by weather, extreme wetness or maintenance practices.  The Pearl sits on some of the best land in the area; so quiet, serene with nature, etc.  I hope the 27 hole model will work better for them and they can successfully continue.  I've been fortunate to play most of the courses mentioned along with others not mentioned.  If you are looking to expand your list, I'm sure there are many suggestions, Dunes Golf & Beach Club, Surf Golf Club, Tidewater Golf Club, Caledonia Golf & Fish Club and others.  Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member

Good topic and good list.  Can't agree about the Pearl unless you caught it on a really bad day.  I agree with Art, Leopards Chase would be higher but I'm sure it is not because of conditions.

ReplyQuote
mperna2001
(@mperna2001)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Appreciate the feedback guys.

A couple points to clear up, this list was based only on the courses I was able to play in 2020. Some other notable ones like Caledonia and Heritage, I have played in the past and would certainly rank high but didn't play in 2020. These are both on my wish list for 2021 along with Pawleys Plantation, Legends and a few others which I was unable to get to last year.

With home base in Barefoot its tougher to get down to the south strand courses as often as I'd like which is why you see mostly North and Central courses on my list.

As far as the Pearl we played there during the 1st couple of months of Covid and the conditions were bad. There were weeds everywhere, couldn't tell the fairways from the rough and greens were bumpy and slow. The starter was having a bad day or something and quite rude and maintenance workers were a major obstruction on that particular day as well. I agree the land there is nice, layout interesting and in the past I never had a bad experience there but this is my 2020 list and that day unfortunately was just a disappointment. Fortunately, reports since the summer have been positive so seems they have rectified the issues I experienced which is great. 

jw11 and S***H liked
ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member

Im reminded now of when you played Pearl and wrote a report of bad conditions. 

Maybe give it another try in a couple years. 

Great subject.

Thanks for taking the time

jw11 

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member

MPerna thanks for sharing that list, it is impressive. Look forward to my time in MB this July. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: