Clear all

our 10/10-10/19 as come to an end 🙁  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jchez444
(@jchez444)
Trusted Member
10/21/2020 6:30 pm  

We had our annual yearly golf trip booked by Brian come to an end. The trip package itself was from 10/12-10/17, but a few of us went down earlier and stayed 10/10-10/19.  trip was supposed to have 20 people but last minute i had one get covid and another guy threw his back out just 2 days prior to arriving.

Sat 10/10: 3 of us arrived that afternoon and we stayed at my buddies place for a couple of days before the package started. once we landed and got organized we headed over to try out topgolf. definitely a different experience but overall it was positive, food was good, beers cold and the games were entertaining. if there was a downside it definitely was the price of everything they are on the higher side, but it was a good start to the day. from there we headed to murrels inlet to meet some friends and proceeded to drink and eat way tooooo much. we tried to hit up every bar there, had some sushi at the tuna shak which was great. had pork hammers and crab nachos at the claw house which i highly recommend. we ended the night at dead dog watching a great band, which were called  miracle max and the pet monsters. great atmosphere and a great start.

Sun 10/11: woke up very foggy and headed to our go to breakfast place, eggs up grill. from there we headed back to get ready for some football. we went to our go to spot for football and close proximity to our place the carolina ale house which we always enjoy. again after over indulging and betting on some football we ended back at the place pretty early 730pm ish and of course got hungry. after a quick discussion we found ourselves at rioz getting the meat sweats. food was spot on! 

Mon 10/12 Blackmoor: the rest of the group has been arriving between sun/mon and this day started our extra round. unfortunately we got some good rain sat night into sun and again spot showers on monday. we teed off on mon afternoon at a very wet blackmoor, this was my first time playing here and overall it wasnt bad. course overall was in ok shape not great beat-up in some spots but overall it played fine. greens were slow but rolled decent. started the trip off not striking it well and putted soso and finished with a 84. 

Check-in: Ellington: had no issues checking in and the staff was friendly. our room was in decent shape nothing to right home about but was good enough considering how little we stay at the room. pros: rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable. we were directly across from the pool and hot tub which was a nice. Cons: the lockout section was extremely old and outdated and not the cleanest. also we had issues with the outlets not charging devices, actually got really annoying lol. also the one night we used the oven the buttons were very close to not working and give us quite the headache to get the temp. up. but overall it wasnt the worst place we stayed nor was it the best for us. now some of the other groups loved it and had great things to say, guess it was the luck of the draw to what room you got. overall it was positive and i would stay there again.

Tues 10/13 Heritage: my favorite course in myrtle and it did not let us down. course was in great shape and the greens were perfect. everyone in the group had nothing but great things to say about the course. if i was to nit-pick the gentlemen handling the carts was slightly overwhelmed and a touch cranky. we started with 833am tee times and some of the guys wanted to get to the range prior to the round but the shuttle wasnt running, pretty sure they were short handed. i recommened if we could take the carts upfront and drive ourselves over. he proceeded to catch an attitude and replied with they are in order and you guys have these carts(ones blocked in). so instead of giving us the 4-5carts which had no bags on them up front, he had to move those carts one by one to let us out. definitely went against the term of work smart not hard. again that is me nit-picking. the course itself was awesome and for the guys that never played it or for those who havent for awhile quickly remembered how much they loved it. believe i shot another 84 and still struggling with my game

Wed 10/14 Wachesaw: super friendly staff but had an interesting start of the day. as we were heading towards the range we were told the carts couldnt go over there due to thefts. apparently when the guys were driving to the range and hitting plays a group of people would come in a truck and swipe bags off the carts and take off. it was not just an isolated case and has happened numerous times. slightly off putting considering we were staying on-site. the course it-self was middle of the road and i had the same feeling as blackmoor, it was ok but prolly wont play for quite sometime. i actually thought the course layout was challenging and the rough was penalizing. greens were slow and about 5-6 holes were cpo. again 85 struck it the same

Thur 10/15 True Blue: everyone was looking to playing true blue and not sure cause of the high hopes but it was a slight let-down. the greens rolled good and the course was in good shape. however the smell was god awful on a lot of holes. i thought the course itself was very easy off the tee, the fairways were huge and pretty forgiving course. i hit the ball well during the round nd finished with a 78 and that was with making a triple om 18. now i will say for me the highlight of the day was the finn scooters, that was an absolute blast and will definitely do it again. but the overall census from the group that heritage was better then true blue. this was our night at rioz as a group and the place did not disappoint.

ri 10/16 Caledonia: unfortunately with the rain all but 4 holes were holes cpo. but it a very pretty course and it was in great shape. this became one of my favorite courses, very pretty to be on. now this was easily my worst round as my body was golfed out(not an excuse) but i struck it horrible and finished with a 92. everyone in the group though really enjoyed this course and the vote was all for caledonia over true blue.

the group checked out on sat and headed home, fortunately we stayed a couple more days and had some fun again at murrels and at white ash cigar. the proximity to murrels from to ellington was great and everyone had a blast. for me i rated the courses as: Caledonia, Heritage, True Blue, tied wach and blackmoor. hopefully the report isnt to poorly written as im slightly under the weather and trying to knock it out lol

this grip of course was booked through Brian Noblin and i cant say enough good things about him. he is so easy to deal with and is a genuine nice guy. if anyone is on the fence or interested in booking dont hesitate and contact brian. he will save you some headaches for sure and things will be smooth. look forward to booking with him again next year 

jbshepherds, djgoodmansr, BNLongdriver and 1 people liked
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
10/21/2020 7:30 pm  

Your description of Wachesaw, sounds like Wach East.  Is that correct? 

Seems like a truck driving by the range would be obvious to see.  

Thanks for reporting.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Trusted Member
10/21/2020 8:08 pm  

@artmbgolf

yep East it was. Yea I was looking at the range and you can’t just drive a truck up. They have to be hitting the cut through between the buildings no other way. If so I would bet it’s people that work Or familiar with it. Looked hard to grab a bunch n go. We had no issues but again most of my group are law enforcement so they keep aware 

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
10/21/2020 8:46 pm  

Very interesting report. Thanks for that. I agree with the ranking except that i would play True Blue before Heritage. Maybe it is because of Mike Strantz, the architect of this golf course. It is subjective, i know. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/22/2020 3:56 pm  

Great report Joe

You got your fill of meat and Murrells Inlet.

Hope you feel better soon.

You and I both going home a lil banged up.

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

jchez444 liked
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
10/22/2020 4:27 pm  

Thanks @jchez444 for such an interesting trip report!

It's just too sad time goes way too fast when we're in Myrtle Beach!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
10/22/2020 5:11 pm  

Thanks for the report.  What caused the bad smell at True Blue??

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
Trusted Member
10/22/2020 6:16 pm  

@tadpole

not fully sure, there was small pieces of what appeared to be mulch. I assumed they were soaked in chemical or something. When talking to the lady at the end we mentioned the smell and she said yea it’s on numerous holes buts that’s how we keep it in good shape and green. Didn’t get any more info. 

one thing I will say if u want confidence off the tee play true blue, fairways are massive. I just went over my stats when uploaded I hit every fairway but 1. 

now on to booking next years trip, already have some course ideas lol. Just gotta see when packages get released which seems to vary year to year

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
10/22/2020 8:13 pm  

Very nice report on some goo courses. I agree heritage is a great course love all the history there. Have played Caledonia twice once was cart path only which is a bummer for a course that nice. True Blue was in great shape last time we played it. Thanks for sharing hoping you get to feeling better.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Trusted Member
10/24/2020 10:39 am  

Great trip report, thanks. 

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Reputable Member
10/24/2020 2:46 pm  
Posted by: @jchez444

@tadpole

not fully sure, there was small pieces of what appeared to be mulch. I assumed they were soaked in chemical or something. When talking to the lady at the end we mentioned the smell and she said yea it’s on numerous holes buts that’s how we keep it in good shape and green. Didn’t get any more info. 

one thing I will say if u want confidence off the tee play true blue, fairways are massive. I just went over my stats when uploaded I hit every fairway but 1. 

now on to booking next years trip, already have some course ideas lol. Just gotta see when packages get released which seems to vary year to year

I remember the first few years we played Barefoot shortly after they opened, the stench in the tunnels under the bypass (Love & Fazio?) was almost unbearable. Didn't notice it the last couple times we played there.

Golf can best be defined as an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
10/25/2020 1:32 pm  

Thanks for your report, enjoyed the read.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/25/2020 9:02 pm  

Joe ...Parkland also has huge Fairways  .

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
JKH75
(@jkh75)
Trusted Member
10/26/2020 6:07 am  

@jchez444 the smell and mulch was McGill Compost. This a great product many courses in MB use to fertilize fairways and increase biology in the soil. It is 100% safe but does have a strong smell.

and thank you for your kind words about Heritage.

This post was modified 1 month ago by JKH75

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
10/26/2020 1:32 pm  

Thanks for the detailed report, sounds like you had a great time. I also agree with you about Brian, he is top notch and a great person. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: