End of November Tri...

End of November Trip  

RSS

CBP Section 205
(@cbp-section-205)
Eminent Member
12/03/2019 6:04 pm  

So our group of 8 was in Myrtle Beach from 11/22-11/26.  Drive from Southeast PA was wet, but got better the further south we went.  We were still worried about CPO though.  Stayed in North Myrtle Beach in a 6 bedroom condo through VRBO, golf booked through Brian.  Checked into the condo, very nice.  Clean, sheets and towels included and seemed to include more than some others we have rented.  Group would unanimously vote to return to it next year.  Was close to Barefoot, but second row with an ocean view.  

Day 1 Played 36 holes at Aberdeen.  The course was very nice.  Conditions were good.  While a little wet, not CPO.  They were happy to have us and treated us very well.  Played all 27 holes, replay was only $15 to get the last 9 in (woodland, which is the most difficult according to them).  Lots of water on the course.  Greens putted ok.  Not fast for sure.  Was a great opening round course.  Could spray the ball some, just not on the side with water!   As it warmed up, we saw a bunch of alligators which is always fun coming from PA where we mostly just see Geese.  At dinner at the Grumpy Monk in NMB, which was quite good.  Very large selection of drinks and food.  Think we should mention that the first 18 holes took us 3:36 to play.  Yes, pretty exact number, but the math was easy enough with a 8:54 start and 12:30 finish.  Weather was mid 60's and sunny.

Day 2 was a split up of our groups.  One group went to World Tour - they used the golf boards, which they liked.  Course was very wet, but not CPO.  They said conditions were not as good as Aberdeen.  Round was very slow.  It took them 5:30 to complete the round.  It is a nice course, but most were wishing they went with my group.

Kings North was perfect.  Conditions were literally pristine.  Such a memorable layout.  My third time playing and could remember where to be on fairways, etc to play better (not that it helped).  Really service was great from arrival.  It is one of my top 10 courses and really since we hadn't played in some time, probably deserves to be higher in my top 10 than I had it.  If you haven't played it, just book it.  We finished in about 3:45 which wasn't bad considering how much harder the course is compared to Aberdeen.  Felt like a private course, never waited to hit and never had anyone within in 2 holes behind us.  It will not be as long until we go back.  Funny part was - it was $1 cheaper than what World Tour cost them.  Lunch was at the Grumpy Monk on 501, mostly to watch football, which ended up being good food, but terrible football (stupid Eagles).   Went to TopGolf to watch the later games and have some fun.  We did not eat, so cannot review the food.  Service was good, which seems to be a staple at them.  I have been to 4 of them and all have had pretty good service.  Played for a little over 2 hours.  Only 2 of us had been to TG previously, but all had fun.  Almost 70 degrees. 

Day 3 was spent at Thistle.  Thistle is a very nice experience.  Really from driving into the complex, the big ass clubhouse.  The golf carts with the extra cushioned seats.  The greens were lightning fast for the guys who had been at World Tour, just slightly faster then KN.  Course was in really good shape.  It was a very enjoyable day.  Started off really cold, but warmed up nicely.  Mid 60's.  Replay 9 was included, so played the entire 27.  Stewart, to McKay to Cameron.  Lunch was included as well.  More of a set lunch and the food was good.  Service was very good from start to finish.  This is another course that is in the 8-12 range for me depending on my memory on any given day.  Some really interesting holes.  It is not quite the level of KN in my opinion.  The price we paid for it was so low, Brian probably wouldn't want us to mention.  Rates dropped that day (Monday the 25th).  Pace of play was really quick.  Think we were in the 3:40 range.  Replay was only about 90 minutes but we were playing a scrambleish format to end the day.  Dinner was at Taco Mundo in Barefoot.  Service was good.  Food was good.  We always preferred Fiesta Del Burro Loco, which closed.  Won't be a regular stop, but Grumpy Monk will probably be our Sunday spot in the future, lots of tvs to watch football.  

Day 4 was Surf Club - Wow!  UGP mentioned it would soon be in my Top 10.  Absolutely.  They bag drop attendant and food service woman both treated our group as if we belonged.  Greens were insanely fast.  Literally as fast I anything I played since TPC Scottsdale.  Another in our group compared the speed to Bethpage when he played this year prior to the US Open.  Have to say, they putted true, but boy could they roll away if you were not careful.  Conditions were very nice.  Everything was great.  Guys in the group just raved about it.  Pace of play was 3:30.  They kept telling us to be under 4 hours to keep the members happy.  The course sets up very well to play quickly though.  Lots of members were walking the course.  Brian was able to get us on and it really made a great trip even more memorable.  Some interesting holes, unique swamp areas (although did not see any gators).  This course will move up the replay list for everyone in the group.  Ate lunch at the course.  Food was awesome.  Had the Palmetto sandwich.  Was like a grilled cheese with fried green tomatoes and bacon.  Food was really good.  

Thanks to the members of the forum who make it easier every year to get our trip organized so well.  Brian of course for booking.  Looking forward to a bonus trip to MB this year, as my daughter will be running at a track meet being held at Coastal Carolina over her spring break.  

Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
12/03/2019 10:49 pm  

Great read.

Thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
12/03/2019 11:19 pm  

Great read thanks for sharing. Sounds like all had a great trip.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
12/03/2019 11:57 pm  

Excellent report  CBP

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
12/04/2019 12:23 am  

Did one foursome play WT for the golf boards or to see the replica holes?  

Your group plays quickly, but you also have to be lucky not to have slow golfers 
in front of you.    

The Eagles pass defenders are not very good and too short to stop tall receivers.  

Thanks for a great report! 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
12/04/2019 5:36 am  
Posted by: @cbp-section-205

UGP mentioned it would soon be in my Top 10.  Absolutely.

Only problem with your trip is not inviting me!  Great courses - as for Aberdeen - most people don't realize how difficult their greens would be if they were fast - there are A LOT of severe slopes there.

As for the Surf Club - it is a very friendly low key club that is first class all the way around.  Maybe we can get a round in next time you make it to MB

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
CBP Section 205
(@cbp-section-205)
Eminent Member
12/04/2019 8:28 am  

Art - my brother in law missed 1 year due to having a baby, which was the year we played World Tour.  I have played it multiple times, as we went to MB with our in-laws previously to our group going and my father-in-law loves World Tour.  His favorite course ever.  So brother-in-law wanted to get the round in there.  A couple of guys said they would go there, that was before I said the rest were going to KN.  We had talked about Grande Dunes and WT, but for the price point, it was impossible to not go to KN.  Really not comparable courses.  The golf boards are fun, but I had 3 ACL surgeries, so kind of wore my legs down as the day went on when we used them the last time.  

The beauty of going the time we do, is that the courses are pretty empty.  It does usually keep our pace of play going pretty well.  KN was not double teed that day, so no waiting at the turn.  We were first off at Thistle on Stewart.  Aberdeen was filling up, but must have been locals enjoying the warming weather.  The courses get busy over Thanksgiving weekend (that was the weekend we used to go when we first started).  The prices drop on Monday when we are there, so we always find some great deals for M/T rounds.  Weather can be sketchy, but played every round in shorts this year.   Our total price for golf was $209+$15 replay at Aberdeen, so $224 for 27/18/27/18 + a lunch included (beverage too, but not alcohol).  Condo was $140 a person.  

Got a text from one of the group after I posted this last night and he was just thanking me, said he was bored at work and just started daydreaming about being back at Surf Club.  

Thing is, reading this site for so long makes it so easy.  So many great pieces of advice.  Eating suggestions (Grumpy Monk this year from a review a few weeks ago).  Course suggestions, especially for day 1.  We are getting courses that play really well, but good prices.  Opened last 3 years at Wild Wing, River Hills, Aberdeen and paid <$50 for all of them.

UGP - I promise I will let you know when we have an odd number.  I mentioned it to the group, as we may be expanding to 11 next year and said, I think we can get you to fill in some.  Guys thought it was a great idea.  I will be looking for some advice for spring as well, with the extra trip.

On the Eagles Art, they lost the hungry dogs ran faster attitude (see Jason Kelce parade speech if not making sense to anyone).  Really, they still believe they are that team, but then don't show up like that team.  It is why, as a lover of the sport of football, I admire that Belichick and Brady have kept that attitude for 20 years.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
12/04/2019 10:19 am  

Thanks for the report.  Certainly agree with you about the value of reading/participating on this site.  I have been a member here (and the old site) for  a long time.  Visit every day.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
12/04/2019 10:52 am  
Posted by: @cbp-section-205

I admire that Belichick and Brady have kept that attitude for 20

Fan or not of the Patriots you have to respect the longevity of excellence. It helps to have one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
IL Lefty
(@il-lefty)
12/04/2019 1:10 pm  

Thanks for the trip report.

Glad you had a good time.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
12/04/2019 2:36 pm  

I really enjoyed your trip report. You played some great courses. Thanks for sharing your positive experience to all of us. It is the principal reason behind this forum. Hoping to read you again after your next trip in Myrtle Beach.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
12/04/2019 7:44 pm  

Excellent trip report on the courses played and restaurants you ate it. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
12/05/2019 7:54 am  

This is a great trip report!

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
12/05/2019 2:10 pm  

Thank for the detailed report, glad you had a nice trip!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: