Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Another trip in the...

Another trip in the books  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jchez444
(@jchez444)
10/15/2019 2:27 pm  

Well that was another MB trip in the books and we couldn't have asked for better weather. The absolute best weather we have ever had there, we had low 80s all week with an extremely low humidity. We checked in on 10/10 and checked-out today 10/15, we stayed at barefoot resorts and played the hackler and all 4 of the barefoot courses. here were my opinions and thoughts along with my ideas for next yr. my ocd requires me to book super early and this ensures me choice of whatever tee times lol

First, i will start with the lodging at barefoot resorts. the visual appeal is amazing and gorgerous, you drive through and everything looks nice and pleasing. unfortunately the condos were underwhelming, dirty and miniature beds lol. now i will say we hardly spent anytime in our condos so that helped but the condo we had off catalina dr was dirty. the showers were not cleaned, the pillows were disgusting (have pics) yellow stains all over, blood stain on one, a dryer that barely worked and youth size twin beds. our group usually tries and stays at different locations and this one ranks near the bottom.

The clubhouses and courses were great and in awesome shape. the greens were super quick but receptive. for me i ranked them for visual appeal as dye, love, norman, fazio. as for difficulty dye, fazio, love, norman. i shot my best scores on norman and dye, worst score was love. i really enjoyed the practice facility as each day the spots on the range changed so we always had a fresh piece of turf to hit off of. for me the dye course was toughest due to tight fairways and tough landing spots. but if i had a knock was that the courses really didnt stand-out from each other. outside of the dye course it was almost as if we played the same course with minor differences. also not sure if anyone else thought this but the bunkers near the green were almost too soft. it was like the bunkers had no bottom to them, this cost me the most strokes during the week.

we also played the hackler which was in good shape and only cost us $25. course shape was good but i tend to struggle here due to the abundant amount of doglegs to the left. i play a draw and cant hit a fade to save my life off the tee.

next years trip i am going to look into booking the low country and stay near murrells inlet. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated 

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
10/15/2019 4:32 pm  

Thanks for the report.  My group was there the 6th thru the 12th and I will have a trip report ready in the next few days.  Sorry to hear about the condos.  We stay at Crescent Shores in NMB and are thinking about changing to another place.  Barefoot is now probably out of consideration.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
10/15/2019 8:59 pm  

Some courses have too much sand in greenside bunkers, like they don't want to add any sand 
for many years.     They are tough, especially if we play out of packed sand/dirt at home.  

I think those who like staying at BF stay at BF yacht club and they recommend there.  
Brian has it.   Murrells lodging is seldom discussed in MBGT.    South end trips tend to stay at 
True Blue or Pawleys.  

Thanks for reporting.  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
10/15/2019 9:07 pm  

Nice report thanks for sharing I have enjoyed BF Dye course.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Reputable Member
10/16/2019 12:50 pm  

Thanks for the update!

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Happy26
(@happy26)
10/16/2019 12:58 pm  

Thanks for the trip report. May have to add Hackler as a low cost option. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
10/16/2019 8:46 pm  

Thanks for this great report!

Just too bad your lodging wasn't on par with the quality golf courses you played!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
10/17/2019 2:37 pm  

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Sorry for you concerning the condos. 

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
10/17/2019 3:37 pm  

Thanks for reporting on your recent MB trip, your thoughts are spot on IMO.   Hackler can be a fun course as well and conditions for the price is very good.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/17/2019 5:31 pm  

Enjoyed reading your report - not a fan of Hackler either - and I play a fade. Only problem with your trip is that I wasn't invited! - Could have worked on a fade for you.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

jchez444 liked
ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
10/20/2019 12:48 am  

@undercover-golf-pro

I would love to see the ballflight off the driver cut. When I hit one that means it was a mishit lol

next trip I will definitely let u know where n when. 

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
10/20/2019 10:20 am  

Great report and good info Joe. 

My favorite low country golf course  ( besides TB & Cali) is Willbrook. 

A good opening course ... Litchfield or River Club.

Haven't golfed Pawleys Plantation yet, but I hear its a must play.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jchez444
(@jchez444)
10/20/2019 10:58 am  

Never played willbrook, might have to give it a look. Next years trip is Caledonia, true blue, and for the other 2 courses it will be out of wachesaw East, willbrook or heritage. Only one out of bunch I played has been heritage.

played Pawleys last year and everyone loved it. The set-up was awesome and it was in great shape

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/20/2019 12:40 pm  

Willbrook and Heritage would be my choice - though Wach East is also very good

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member