Bandon Dunes  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
01/27/2020 10:39 am  

@undercover-golf-pro

It'd be a lot more enjoyable with a few more made putts and birdies!

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
01/27/2020 12:55 pm  

Like I often say : Better have remorses doing things than regrets not doing them! 😉

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
03/15/2020 4:56 pm  

The Non MB Golf Trip:  Our trip to Bandon Dunes Resort was incredible, in no casual conversation sense.  Four great golf courses, world class customer service, and a location that is magnificent.  We were all anxious about the weather possibilities; we simply beat the odds as Mon-Thu could not be better.  The weather was a daily high of 55, sun and a breeze.  Fri was the only rainy day with a cooler temp in the high 40's and a light rain.  Bandon Trails, Old MacDonald, Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes was our 4 day rotation.  We had six players, so threesomes each day no problem.  Four of the guys did elect to play additional rounds at Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes.  I flew from Raleigh Durham and met my fellow Vermont buddies at the Eugene airport, then we drove to Bandon.  Everyone had clubs shipped to and from Bandon Dunes Resort via FedEx, it's the smart move on this detail.  We stayed in the resort's Chrome Lake lodging which consisted of 3 - 2 man units, 2 king beds, a bathroom multi-plex, coffee station and lounge area.  All accommodations at the resort are terrific, just sort it out by expense and needs.  On premises transportation is handled by shuttles which are timely, friendly and prompt.  There's no fee for shuttles, just the driver tip.  You cannot make a mistake with food here, multiple restaurants for all meals, great brews, comfy, and great service.  You do not need to leave the property when making the trip... we left once on the first morning to stock up with water (it was much cheaper at the Rite Aid in town only 2-3 miles away). 

The golf is the story here, pure & simple.  Bandon Trails is cut from some dense forest and sits along some highlands above the ocean.  There are a few ocean views here but its mostly heavy forest, wide fairways, HUGE greens and some elevation changes.  Old MacDonald is a tribute course to C.B. MacDonald with many holes taken from his architectural design playbook.  The course is primarily barren, very wide fairways, greens that are nearly indistinguishable as the fairways and greens kind of run together.  The bunkers are penal; deep, shaggy, strategically place.  There is a Turnaround on #7 which sits on a cliff above the Pacific, it's amazing.  Bandon Dunes was probably my favorite, it's the first course built here.  Again wide fairways, large greens, and multiple poster-like holes along the Pacific Ocean (#12 & #16 are exquisite).  Pacific Dunes is a bit more strategic with holes lined with gorse and thick marine forest growth.  The views on #10 & #11 (back to back par 3's) are sensational.  You get mesmerized while on the tee.

We also played Bandon Preserve, a 13 hole par 3 course that will become a memory of a lifetime.  It's a tremendous layout, no bad holes, fun stuff and you are encouraged to play in large numbers... we played as a six-some.  Also, the Practice Area is ridiculous, it's so large that it's a separate shuttle ride.  Finally, the Punch Bowl is a 2.3 acre putting green with humps, bumps, valleys, hills and putting silliness.  It's a great way to end a day with a few brews.

Our time at Bandon is one for the ages...  so much fun.  Go if you have the opportunity.        

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
03/15/2020 7:10 pm  

A terrific trip report!

Glad you were able to make it before that famous COVID-19 issue!

Thanks for sharing!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
03/15/2020 7:59 pm  

It's great to hear about a great trip.  

I have not been there.  I have read other Bandon reports and it sounds like you  
need a group of walkers.  Is that correct, that they are walking courses?    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
DCH1950
(@dch1950)
Trusted Member
03/16/2020 8:07 am  

@artmbgolf:  Walking is essentially the only way to play the courses at Bandon.  I believe there are a few carts available however they are only allowed with a medical exemption that must be arranged in advance.  In addition, the use of a cart does not mean that you are able to pull up to the ball, I believe its use will be similar to cart path only however there are no real cart paths.  The use of a cart will require the use of a caddie.  The golf courses do have some elevations and rough terrain; it's not an easy walk.

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
03/16/2020 9:08 am  

@dch1950

Sounds similar to the trip I made years ago except there were only two courses and two restaurants at the time. I loved everything about the experience there--except that I had a back strain the entire time I was there. I worked my trip into a separate trip to California, renting a car and driving up from the San Jose area. People may refer to San Jose/Oakland/San Francisco as Northern California, but my drive north showed me just how much Northern California there is above those cities. It took me ten hours with all but the last 90 minutes or so in California. The back strain had started the day before I left for Oregon, worsened through the drive, and continued until my last day there. Despite that, it was a spectacular trip!

I tell people since my visit there that the original Bandon course is as close to the links courses of Ireland and Scotland as you'll get in this country. And so is the weather. I went in July and had weather not very different than what you experienced. Because of the various mountain ranges nearby, however, while it was 50s and 60s right there along the coast, 50 miles inland, it was close to 100. I suspect that during your trip, it was much colder inland.

Did you encounter any beavers there? I'd always known that Oregon State used them as a mascot, and without knowing more, figured they were about the size of a squirrel. I crossed paths with one as I was walking back to my room after dinner one night, however, and discovered beavers can be as large as large hogs. As each of us looked at each other before going our separate ways, it occurred to me that in addition to being ignorant about their size, I was ignorant about their temperament. I was glad to see that at least this one didn't feel threatened and just went on its way!

I need to get back.

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
09/17/2020 10:43 am  

I know i would love to go to Bandon, i am pushing for a golf trip like that for my 50th in 1.5 years. IT will be there or Streamsong so i have to figure that out. 

To me to be able to get to a place and never leave is a great thing. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
09/18/2020 7:35 am  

Yes, awesome way of life!

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: