Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Myrtle Beach World Amateur  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

Jeff
 Jeff
(@jeff)
08/17/2019 9:39 pm  

Ok, Christmas came early. We were expecting course assignments on Monday, but they managed to get them out today.

I'm in Flight 17 Senior Men (50-59) with handicap range of 9 - 9.8. I'm playing to my 12 month low of 9.5, my current index is 12.6.

Day 1 - Shaftsbury Glen (have not played since the renovations)

Day 2 - TPC Myrtle Beach (been a few years since I've played it)

Day 3 - Burning Ridge (have played several times and I like it)

Day 4 - Panther's Run (have played before, hopefully conditions are ok)

For Practice rounds, Rick has booked

Friday 23rd - Prestwick and The Witch

Saturday 24th - River Hills and Eagles Nest (I have not played Eagles Nest)

Sunday - Wild Wing

Friday After (assuming not in finals) - Heathland and Parkland

Saturday After - Arrowhead or Whispering Pines (like both just have not booked yet)

ReplyQuote
Ploots
(@ploots)
Eminent Member
08/17/2019 10:51 pm  

@jeff

I have drawn Oyster Bay, River Oaks, Shaftesbury Glen and Pawleys Plantation in flight 12 for seniors age 50-59. My index is 3.7 even though currently at 4.9. There are a lot of people in this boat since they use your lowast handicap in the last 12 months. With the current state of my game I don’t think I can break 90 on any of those courses. Going for the cameradere.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
08/17/2019 11:41 pm  

@jeff

Shaft Glen installed new Hybrid greens this summer and added some more waste
areas, like they did a couple years ago.    

TPC is better than ever with new bunkers last year.   

PR got new greens in 2018.  They were good this spring. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
08/18/2019 12:24 am  

I'm in Flight 51 Super Senior Men (70-79) with handicap range of 9.3 - 10.3.  My current index is 11.3 and my 12 month low was 10.6  But, supposedly because of my somewhat "stellar" play of last year, ending up in 6th place, the World Am has decided I will play to a 9.4.  I am ok with that...well guess I have to be.  

Here is my draw....

Monday - Sea Trail Byrd

Tuesday - River Club

Wednesday - Myrtlewood – Pine Hills

Thursday - World Tour

No new courses for me.  Actually none in the WA rotation are new to me.  

Jeff gave you our line up for non-WA rounds for this year.  Just looking forward to playing a lot of golf.  Need to get there and get acclimated to slow summer-in-MB greens.  

And, hope this stupid tropical system that is supposed to some day move across Florida and up the Atlantic coast does not pose a problem.  

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/18/2019 5:35 am  
Posted by: @ploots

With the current state of my game I don’t think I can break 90 on any of those courses.

With the current state of your mind you can't break 90 - Toughen up my friend!

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/18/2019 5:40 am  

To all on our site that are playing in the World Am - Good Luck and have fun. Wish I could join you in teeing it up!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/18/2019 5:53 am  

Looks like a great party every night - I need to sneak in!

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
08/18/2019 7:03 am  

Good golf and good luck. Have fun.

ReplyQuote
Ploots
(@ploots)
Eminent Member
08/18/2019 7:37 am  

@undercover-golf-pro

UGP, thanks, that is what I need a kick in the pants. 

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
08/19/2019 9:02 pm  

Good luck to everyone playing in the World Am.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Reputable Member
08/20/2019 11:09 am  

Wishing the best to all the Forum members playing in the World Am.

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Taxman
(@taxman)
08/20/2019 3:12 pm  

I played in 17 consecutive World Am's before taking last year off. I am back for my 18th edition of the event this year. I am in the mid senior grouping (age 60-69) in flight 28. 

Under World Am rules, the handicap index you play under is the lowest of 1) your current index or 2) your "World Am Index", or 3) your 12-month low index. I had a great winter of playing golf in Florida and came north to Maine at 6.4. Four months of lots of indifferent golf has me currently at 10.4. My World Am Index is higher than both so it doesn't come into play. As a result, I get to play to a 6.4. I only give up 4 strokes a day for 4 days so if any of you want to bet big on me I can see why you'd want to.

My course assignments are - 

Monday @ Crow Creek - I've played here a few times... looking forward to returning

Tuesday @ Aberdeen - I may sleep in

Wednesday @ Myrtle Beach National/South - It's been awhile but I don't suppose I'll freak about the place

Thursday @ Caledonia - the cream of the crop... now I just have to avoid embarrassing myself on #18

"Put a fork in him, he's toast!"

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/20/2019 3:18 pm  
Posted by: @taxman

I like Aberdeen - not too difficult, but interesting and really like South Creek. Of course Caledonia is special - play well!

Taxman liked
ReplyQuote
RickK
(@rickk)
Eminent Member
08/20/2019 6:10 pm  
Posted by: @taxman

I played in 17 consecutive World Am's before taking last year off. I am back for my 18th edition of the event this year. I am in the mid senior grouping (age 60-69) in flight 28. 

Under World Am rules, the handicap index you play under is the lowest of 1) your current index or 2) your "World Am Index", or 3) your 12-month low index. I had a great winter of playing golf in Florida and came north to Maine at 6.4. Four months of lots of indifferent golf has me currently at 10.4. My World Am Index is higher than both so it doesn't come into play. As a result, I get to play to a 6.4. I only give up 4 strokes a day for 4 days so if any of you want to bet big on me I can see why you'd want to.

Monday @ Crow Creek - I've played here a few times... looking forward to returning

Tuesday @ Aberdeen - I may sleep in

Wednesday @ Myrtle Beach National/South - It's been awhile but I don't suppose I'll freak about the place

Thursday @ Caledonia - the cream of the crop... now I just have to avoid embarrassing myself on #18

"Put a fork in him, he's toast!"

Not too bad of a draw.  Once upon a time long long ago, I had a decent round at Aberdeen.  Also a long time ago, I had a super embarrassing round there.  That one was all my fault by just playing stupid. 

As far as Caledonia is concerned....don't worry about 18.  You can always play to bank it off the clubhouse.  Go long, go long...you can't play from short. 

Taxman liked
ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
08/20/2019 7:49 pm  

I looked over the various course assignments and noticed for every premium course a 
draw gets, they get a low end course.  The draws all look balanced between course 
levels.   

Eagle Nest, who wants to be a championship course with long Perch tees, is not in the WA. 

Mystical doesn't have any of their 3 courses hosting. 

The 3 + 4 course sites kept 1 course out for member and visitor play, although BF Dye hosts 
the finals.   

Brick Landing is being used.  I wonder what the conditions are.  Reports are never good.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: