Notifications
Clear all

Best of MB area food  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

shollen
(@shollen)
07/22/2020 10:07 pm  

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending the last 50 days in NMB, and unfortunately due to a wrist injury, I didn’t get to golf as much as I had hoped. Fortunately, I did try a lot of food options and came across a few that did not disappoint. 

Best Pasta-Grapevine, Calabash. Great portion size and full of flavor. Not a typical Italian spot where you’ll order meatballs or sausage, but the pastas come loaded with seafood or chicken, so much garlic as well. Easily the best pasta I’ve had down here. 

Best Latin food-Sol Y Luna, Carolina Forest. Specials almost every day of the week, taco Tuesday, burrito Thursday, some specials come with a free draft beer of your choice. The food is quality, seasoned well and full of flavor. Great chips and salsa, and the guac is killer! 

Best happy hour-Boardwalk Billy’s, NMB. I’ve had places with more happy hour items, but you can’t go wrong with Billy’s. The crab legs each time came out perfectly, are only $7 per 1/2 pound during HH, and their wings are great as well. The best grilled fish tacos I’ve had in a while. 

Best pizza-Gino’s NY Pizza. I tried both the NMB and Carolina Forest locations, neither disappointed. Great flavor, perfect amount of sauce and cheese, we used to be Benitos and Kings frequents, but this is our go to from now on if we are wanting a pie. 

Best low-priced finger food-Finn Mccool’s, Myrtle Beach. If you’re in the mood for hot dogs, come here, you get them loaded with virtually anything you want, and two giant sized New York flavor dogs for $8! Their peel and eat shrimp is killer. One tip is to go for the onion rings rather than the chips, so good. 

Best Surf-N-Turf-Becks, Calabash. Where else can you get a ribeye and crab legs for $24? Or about 10 giant sea scallops and ribeye for about the same? This place did not disappoint. The steaks were cooked well, seasoned well, the legs and scallops were very good as well, the wife and I shared a few plates at Becks together. 

these were by far our favorite places that we ate at on our 50 days staying here. 

leftygar1 liked
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/22/2020 10:54 pm  

That a great summary.  Thanks!  

Are those restaurants set up for 50% capacity?  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
shollen
(@shollen)
07/23/2020 6:57 am  

@artmbgolf some of them were set up to meet the capacity guidelines. All of them were doing some version of it, some better than others. Sol Y Luna probably struggled the most as it’s a tiny location, but they still didn’t sit two tables next to each other. 

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
07/23/2020 8:51 am  

Thanks for this report.  You have given me some new places to try.  Like you, I enjoy visiting local restaurants.  Found Boardwalk Billy's last year and I agree with you - great place.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
07/23/2020 8:53 am  

Thanks @shollen for this kind of report!

A lot of us here will, like me, really appreciate!

Hope your wrist will get better for your next MB visit!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
shollen
(@shollen)
07/23/2020 9:16 am  

@denisgilbert thanks Denis! The good news for us is that we are buying a condo down here, so this time next year we will be permanent residents. 

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
07/23/2020 9:44 am  

This is dôme great news for you and your family!

Congratulations!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/23/2020 2:45 pm  
Posted by: @shollen

The good news for us is that we are buying a condo down here, so this time next year we will be permanent residents. 

Next year for will be able to post local reports.    

It's hard to decide which end/area of MB is best for your criteria and near
courses you would prefer to play often.   Where are you thinking?    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
shollen
(@shollen)
07/23/2020 3:27 pm  

@artmbgolf we are buying in Carolina Forest. The condo will be right on the Wizard but within a mile or so to Myrtle Beach National. I’ll definitely be posting a lot more once here permanently. I like playing as many different courses as possible, but some of my favorites down here are The Heritage Club, The Witch, Tidewater, and probably Rivers Edge so far. 

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
07/23/2020 4:03 pm  

You will be in the middle of MB Golf.  You can get from Car Forest to MBN without 501.  
Their is a road that goes from CF Blvd to MBN BLVD.  

And you are near Sam Sneads.  

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
07/24/2020 8:49 am  

Your list is fantastic, and I second the Finn McCool's recommendation. One of my favorite afternoons in MB is lunch there followed by a round at Arcadian Shores. Except for a few moments when you're pulling into the restaurant parking lot and a couple of times on the golf course, you'd never know that you're in the midst of a really busy area.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
07/24/2020 1:38 pm  

Both Finn McCools and Boardwalk Billy are some of our favorite spots to eat, Finn's even has a decent breakfast and we feel their pancakes are great.

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
07/24/2020 3:26 pm  

@leftygar1

Never knew about breakfast--now I can try McCool's first for breakfast and then Arcadian for a morning round!

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
07/24/2020 5:44 pm  

@lwildernorva

It's not a huge breakfast, but we like it over the winter months when Finns is open.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
07/25/2020 9:18 pm  

Great info Shollen.

I will write these down for future reference. 

Been to B.Billys and agree with you on that.

We haven't been to the others.

Congratulations on making the move to MB

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: