Notifications
Clear all

Valley at Eastport with Quevy 10.28  

RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/29/2020 7:19 am  

This course is a very pleasant surprise. We all enjoyed the course. Very tight in many places, Eastport was in good shape. Good grass on the fairways, roughs were fine, greens rolled about 8.5 once the dew was gone. Some spotty areas in the rough and the tee boxes and cart paths weren't great. Eastport has seven very good holes, including the par 3's. 17 and 18 rank with any closing holes on the strand. While not a first class facility, it doesn't deserve it's tier 5 rating - I like it better than a lot of tier 4's so I'm calling it tier 3.5. Not a difficult course if you drive the ball well, though there's plenty of trouble around most greens. At 6300 from the tips par 70, it didn't feel like it played that long

I would play this course more often

IMG 2092
IMG 2094
IMG 2099
IMG 2109
IMG 2097
IMG 2110
IMG 2112
IMG 2105
IMG 2107
IMG 2101
IMG 2100
IMG 2108
IMG 2104
IMG 2106
IMG 2111
IMG 2102

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

tadpole
(@tadpole)
Reputable Member
10/29/2020 9:12 am  

Thanks for reporting.  Never played there although I drive by it almost every day when in town.  Doesn't look too difficult from Hwy 17 and not crowded with players.  

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
10/29/2020 12:42 pm  

I like Eastport, but over the years, pace of play has been a problem at times and conditioning a problem at other times. With those two problems eliminated, it can be a fun course.

One great memory, however. About 20 years ago, I was playing there with a couple of buddies on a trip between Christmas and New Year's. Beautiful day, sunny, low 70s, and I came out of the gate on fire. Played the first six in two under when I came to the par-3 seventh. As we drove up, we saw that they were running one of those hole-in-one promotions. Although I was playing really well, I remember having a feeling then that I've never had before or since: I thought to myself, I'm going to be really mad if I don't buy a ticket and then knock this in the hole. Keep in mind that at that point, I'd never had a hole-in-one. To this day, I still don't know why I thought the way I did--I've concluded that for that one moment and that one moment only, I'd gotten into the "zone" the athletes talk about.

So I bought the ticket and hit my shot. All over the flag all the way there. With the ball still in the air, I turned to my buddies and said "if this goes in, we're staying for an extra week" since there was a cash prize of like $3000. The ball hit 2 inches in front of the pin and stopped 3 inches behind, definitely rolling over one edge of the hole.

I then promptly went to the eighth tee where I completely lost my mojo--went from three under to something like an 85 by the end of the round. And, as I said, I've never had that super confident mindset since, even when I'm playing as well as I did that day at Eastport.

Strange game. . .

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
10/29/2020 1:17 pm  

A turf/nursery/landscape company bought Eastport about 5-7 years ago. 
It has been looking better since then, while driving by on 17.   

Thanks!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Metric
(@metric)
Trusted Member
10/29/2020 1:41 pm  

It’s owned by the Vereens. Joey the son does a terrific job on the course. UGP is definitely right about 17 and 18 two very tough finishing holes.

JKH75 liked
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Prominent Member
10/29/2020 2:53 pm  

Great report and great pics also (with that sunny skies, I'm quite envious, to tell you the truth)!

And from what you wrote @UGP, I'll have to put Valley at Eastport on to my "to play" list!

Take care!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
OBBlues
(@obblues)
Trusted Member
10/29/2020 3:38 pm  

Thanks for the report. I've played it once and found the front nine and back nine completely different with the back nine being much more tight than the front with it being a 4 tier course in my mind. I think we used to have a forum member who worked there years ago? 

ReplyQuote
Ploots
(@ploots)
Eminent Member
10/29/2020 5:38 pm  

UGP, you said that the course plays shorter than the 6300 yard tips and there is a reason for that. I always felt the same way so the last time I played there I used my GPS to measure each hole from the back of each tee box and the results were just under 6,000 yards. You are correct about some very good holes one of which is number 9 par 4 over water along with the par 3’s and 17 and 18.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/29/2020 6:15 pm  

What hurts Eastport in the eyes of many, is not the layout, but that it is on a very small plot of land - many holes pretty close together and surrounded by homes. EP lacks the beauty and openness of many of the MB courses.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member
10/30/2020 6:09 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro

Been a few tears since playing Eastport, a fun course but as you say balls can come at you on a few holes, esp. the front nine.

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Reputable Member
10/30/2020 7:48 pm  

Nice report good pictures thanks for sharing.

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Prominent Member
10/30/2020 11:32 pm  
Posted by: @lwildernorva

One great memory, however. About 20 years ago, I was playing there with a couple of buddies on a trip between Christmas and New Year's. Beautiful day, sunny, low 70s, and I came out of the gate on fire. Played the first six in two under when I came to the par-3 seventh. As we drove up, we saw that they were running one of those hole-in-one promotions. Although I was playing really well, I remember having a feeling then that I've never had before or since: I thought to myself, I'm going to be really mad if I don't buy a ticket and then knock this in the hole. Keep in mind that at that point, I'd never had a hole-in-one. To this day, I still don't know why I thought the way I did--I've concluded that for that one moment and that one moment only, I'd gotten into the "zone" the athletes talk about.

So I bought the ticket and hit my shot. All over the flag all the way there. With the ball still in the air, I turned to my buddies and said "if this goes in, we're staying for an extra week" since there was a cash prize of like $3000. The ball hit 2 inches in front of the pin and stopped 3 inches behind, definitely rolling over one edge of the hole.

I then promptly went to the eighth tee where I completely lost my mojo--went from three under to something like an 85 by the end of the round. And, as I said, I've never had that super confident mindset since, even when I'm playing as well as I did that day at Eastport.

Strange game. . .

Great story

I played TVAE one time, about 5 years ago, and was pleasantly surprised except I hated the cart paths

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Prominent Member
11/02/2020 10:36 am  

Thanks for the update on a course i have to add to my play list. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Reputable Member
11/03/2020 9:17 am  

Thanks for the update and it is nice to see a report on Eastport.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member
11/03/2020 10:59 am  

A very good report. Thanks! I never played Eastport. I will add this one on my list.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Share: