Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Tigers Eye  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
10/08/2019 8:29 pm  

Beav has it correct, give + get reports.    

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/09/2019 9:32 pm  

I remember playing Leopards chase last year in mid October on our annual trip.

I had played it before many times and remember it when it had just opened to much acclaim.

Fantastic layout ...definitely a tier one course. It has slowly deteriorated condition wise over the last few years. 

Last year after we played it and saw the conditions were less than great, we asked what had happened.

We were told that the superintendent had died a short time ago...I believe on the course..of a stroke or heart attack.

With care and maintenance it could and should be one of the top 10 courses in that area. Another heartbreak and shame to see a great course "waste" away !

I don't understand how a fairly new course with such promise can be given up on. 

I heard or read that the owners of the Glendornach  course was trying to sell to developers a while back and was stopped by the community for various reasons. Another great track and fun course and layout.

Hate to see the good ones disappear. I hope that it stays there or sell it to someone who wants to keep it as a golf course.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
10/09/2019 10:47 pm  

Good post Beav.

I couldn't believe when the Falcon course closed. It was a real nice tier 1 or 2 , and only available to play for a few years.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/09/2019 11:02 pm  

@jw11

What is Falcon ? Was that at Ocean Ridge with the Big Cat courses ?

I remember hearing about the development of a new course “Jaguars Lair” that was supposed to be even nicer than Tigers Eye when it was top notch. And then the sad stories and truth of  its demise before it even got to be developed.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
10/10/2019 9:00 am  

@beavthegolfer

Falcon was one of the courses at Wild Wing along with Woodstork and Hummingbird which still has 9 holes to play, Avocet was always there number one course and am so glad it is still there for now.

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/10/2019 9:12 am  

Oh yes...been there before a while back for practice rounds at WW.Have played Avocet and hummingbird. Was Falcon a nice course ?

Avocet was in good condition...I don’t remember the layout being anything special or memorable.

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/10/2019 9:19 am  

Was Falcon an 18 hole course ? Was it a really a tier 1 or 2 course that was wiped out to make way for a development ?

Big money for developments...You would think that there’s plenty of land to use for either down in that area to not have to destroy a current “nice”course after all of the energy, effort and $$$ that goes into designing and building it in the first place.

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/10/2019 9:38 am  

It’s a crazy business and certainly I know that golf courses are a tough business to be in and make a profit . 

There still is a demand for it even if the numbers are down overall. It’s great to have a “Mecca” of golf like Myrtle where there are many choices to pick for golf and all of the other activities to choose from.

I don’t go there in the summertime but know that is extremely popular and crowded. 

Will the golf industry be able to survive and succeed there or will this trend change it forever ? How many courses there will be able to last through this trend ?

Does the Myrtle Beach community and Tourism Council want to maintain it’s reputation as a golf Mecca or is that not a priority since the area has so much else going on ?

Is it all a simple case of economics and $$$$ and growth will win out every time ?

I was considering spending my retirement years there...now I’m not sure if that’s my best choice.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/10/2019 12:37 pm  
Posted by: @beavthegolfer

I was considering spending my retirement years there...now I’m not sure if that’s my best choice.

There will always be a lot of courses in the MB area - unfortunately it's not up to tourism people - it's up to the developers. It's a great place to retire for a lot more than just golf. Summer and winter the courses aren't crowded. It's really about 4 months out of the year the courses are packed.

The reason golf courses are becoming developments is simple and I'll use Heather Glen as an example - the owner was offered a couple million for HG as a golf course and 12 million for the land to develop. Easy choice

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/10/2019 8:20 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro

I get that...It’s simple math if it’s just about the $$$. I don’t think that course owners buy a course just to plan to sell it to developers in the future.

If they were looking to put their money into a course in the first place then the profit margin was not what made them want to buy into it in the first place given the nature of the business.

As a businessman, there would be many other investment opportunities to put your money into with better profit forecast probabilities.

I would guess that there are many other reasons to want to own a course including love of the greatest game ever played

What was your reason ?

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
10/11/2019 4:15 am  

Most pros get into the business out of love of golf - I'm in that group. However, I also felt I could make a living in the business especially based on how I bought the course. Unbelievably long hours and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
BeavTheGolfer
(@beavthegolfer)
Eminent Member
10/11/2019 1:58 pm  

Thanks for the feedback UGP

ReplyQuote
machood
(@mac)
10/20/2019 9:14 am  

Rumors of financial struggles at the Big Cats...

ReplyQuote
6542Golf
(@6542golf)
Estimable Member
10/20/2019 6:20 pm  

If that is true what a shame. I remember when they good courses with the thought of opening Leopard Liar don't look like that will every happen.  Wondering if they are looking to sell out?

Brownwood Bandit

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
10/20/2019 9:23 pm  

Not sure if they own all the surrounding real estate  or just the courses. 

An expensive looking Jaguars Lair sign is visible  from rt 179. They must have run out of money just before course construction.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: