RSS

leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
01/24/2020 1:57 pm  
jones course 013
jones course 011
jones course 001

Played here today under a threat of rain that never transpired, 2nd group off ad our POP was an outstanding 2 hrs 50 minutes.

Starter sent us over the 1st tee, best news of the day no CPO.  Played a combination of the men's and senior tees.  The course was not to bad, over seed good not great like a few courses we have been playing.  Fairways gave you some roll, not a lot though and ball sat up decently.  Roughs were also decent with no areas of longer dormant Bermuda, all one length.  Tee areas good, thin on some of the Par 3's but nothing to bad.  Greens rolled very smoothly and were just sprayed with fungicide so a touch sticky at first but the speed was a solid 8 to 9 once they dried out.  Traps in good shape however a few have the landscape fabric beginning to show.  

Overall a good value at 35 bucks, not an overly hard course but trouble is there, finding it is never a problem 😥 .  Next up is at Sea trail Byrd.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
01/24/2020 2:10 pm  

Thanks for a great report.  

Wondering if you will be playing Maples after Byrd?   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
01/24/2020 2:25 pm  

@artmbgolf

Art, our plan is to play all 3, would have to but it was to cold here on Wed. and we canceled that day, so new schedule is Byrd of Sunday and Maples the following week one day, probably Friday as I am away in Charleston for a few days.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
01/24/2020 2:59 pm  

Thanks for this update LeftyGar1! For the conditions of play, at this time of the year, habitually all Sea Trail golf courses offers a good value. At Sea Trail, my favorite is the Maples. 

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
01/24/2020 5:11 pm  

I like all three layouts - maybe Jones just ahead of Maples - just wish they were in better condition

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
01/24/2020 5:31 pm  

@undercover-golf-pro

UGP, Jones was really not to bad, Byrd looked very nice and we drove out to see that Maples had over seeded wall to wall and it was quite green.

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
01/24/2020 8:15 pm  

Thanks for the info Gary.

Looking forward to hearing which course you like best.

jw11

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
01/26/2020 8:20 am  

Thanks Gary for taking the time to report and have a nice stay in Charleston!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
jbshepherds
(@jbshepherds)
Honorable Member
01/27/2020 12:10 pm  

Thanks for the update and safe travels to Charleston. 

Let the Big Dawg Bite!!!

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Eminent Member
01/30/2020 6:46 pm  

This is good news regarding the Jones course as well as the other courses at Sea Trail. When I first came down to the Myrtle Beach area in July 1990, I stayed at the resort and played all three courses. Conditions were excellent then, and ST started me on a long love affair with golf down there. I've played there a couple of times over the years and definitely noticed the drop in conditions. Given some of the closings over the last 15 years, I was afraid Sea Trail might succumb as well, but I'm glad to see the work is being done to the courses that indicates that they'll be around to keep golfers like me happy to play there.

ReplyQuote
Share: