Please note that on December 22nd, 2018, we upgraded our site and unfortunately were not able to bring the user ids and passwords from the old site.  So if you were a previous member of MBGT, unfortunately you must re-register on this site.  Your old user id and password will not work.  When you re-register, please use your user id (display name) from the old MBGT site. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

On April 22nd, our hosting provider suffered a very serious cyber attack (some of the details can be found here – https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/windows-service-update/).  As part of the recovery process, they had to perform a system restoration which has caused us to lose about 1 week of posts (plus the week we were offline so that is why recent posts are saying 2 weeks old).  We are still trying to get back the archive site; however, that is looking doubtful at this point in time as the software had some vulnerabilities and may not be permitted to be turned back on even if they can recover the data.

Thank you for your patience during this time.

Update – May 31, 2019

We are happy to announce that almost all functionality has been restored and we have migrated to a new platform which will also speed up the site (something that has been asked for).  Unfortunately, we have not yet found a way to securely host the forum archive, so it remains offline for now.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

Local Scoop - Shaft...

Local Scoop - Shaftesbury Glen (08/22/2019)  

RSS

1putt1
(@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer)
Trusted Member
08/22/2019 4:47 pm  

Played Shaftesbury Glen Golf & Fish Club today.

The Good:  New greens had good turf quality and root depth. Greens were also very receptive to approach shots. Often times with new greens they're hard as a rock at first and only soften over time, not these. Although the greens were still slow being new, me & my playing partner made pretty much everything under 12 feet, so I think going from Bent to Sunday Bermuda was a good idea and come the fall these greens will have potential. Fairways and tees were being cut while we were playing, and the ones that were cut were looking real nice with good turf quality.

The Bad:  Course still doesn't drain well despite past efforts to improve in that area. Today it was very muddy out there, the 5th hole we both almost lost our balls that buried deeply in the fairway. Yes we've had rain in the past week and the lake levels on the course were high, but after a rainy stretch it may be wise to choose a course that drains better.

The Indifferent:  They've taken out some bunkers this summer and added more waste areas (which double as cart paths). Some golfers like that, I'm not much of a fan of the look, at least not on every hole. Plus they're a maintenance nightmare cause you know that much sand won't be raked regularly when golfers walk in it or when areas get washed out after heavy rains.

What really sucked:  Was shooting 72 and having to pay $10 for losing both nines, but it was nice seeing my buddy shoot a bogey-free 68.

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/22/2019 6:34 pm  

Good report and great shooting by both of you. Shaftsbury is a good course - they have some very tough holes - 9 and 18 come to mind. Not my favorite, but I don't mind playing it.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Honorable Member
08/22/2019 10:10 pm  

Sounds good. 

Thanks for checking out the renovations. 

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Trusted Member
08/23/2019 12:07 am  

Thanks for the report. Surprised to hear the new greens are receptive...do you think part of that might be how much rain you've had recently?

The Shaft has been our our go-to course for opening day the last couple years. Liking the wide fairways as we try & knock some rust off our swings.

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Honorable Member
08/23/2019 10:45 am  

I was waiting this report UGP. New greens will do the job in the future. 

Feel bad for you. Losing 10$ with a 72! Too much talent in Myrtle Beach!

ReplyQuote
1putt1
Trusted Member
08/23/2019 1:04 pm  
Posted by: @skippy

Thanks for the report. Surprised to hear the new greens are receptive...do you think part of that might be how much rain you've had recently?

Well surely the rains may have helped, however the greens at Shaftsbury are mostly elevated well above the fairways so they drained fairly well. I could feel when fixing ball marks that the grass felt "thatchy" or spongy, so I think that's the main reason why they were so receptive. I wonder if the greens were sodded rather than sprigged.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by 1putt1

ReplyQuote
1putt1
Trusted Member
08/23/2019 1:11 pm  
Posted by: @s333h

I was waiting this report UGP. New greens will do the job in the future. 

Feel bad for you. Losing 10$ with a 72! Too much talent in Myrtle Beach!

I'm not UGP, but you can call me OAG (Overt Amateur Golfer 😀 ).

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Prominent Member
08/23/2019 1:12 pm  
Posted by: @mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

I'm not UGP, but you can call me OAG (Overt Amateur Golfer 😀 ).

An excellent reply OVG

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
08/23/2019 2:26 pm  

Good read the new greens at Shafesbury are doing well.  Have to ask, when do you not make anything from 12 feet or closer 😀 your the best putter I have played with in MB.

ReplyQuote
1putt1
Trusted Member
08/23/2019 10:01 pm  
Posted by: @leftygar1

Have to ask, when do you not make anything from 12 feet or closer 😀

When I'm playing golf with a gorgeous girl that can play golf, LOL. Around 20 years ago the first time I ever played with a female mini-tour pro (she was drop dead beautiful) I was incredibly nervous. After bogeying the first two holes I had a little 18-inch putt to save par on #3. I hit that putt so bad it never got within 6 inches of the hole, LOL. Probably the worst putt I ever hit!!

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Reputable Member
08/24/2019 4:42 am  
 I could feel when fixing ball marks that the grass felt "thatchy" or spongy

That's good to hear.

The recent times I've played new greens in MB (Arcadian Shores, Panthers Run, Crow Creek), the greens were so hard and thick ,I couldn't get my repair tool 1/2 inch  into the ground. The ball marks were very shallow also.

Thanks for another local scoop.

JW

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Reputable Member
08/24/2019 10:38 am  

@mbgt-golf-gourse-reviewer

Hear you there Bob.

ReplyQuote
langille5
(@langille5)
Estimable Member
08/26/2019 11:34 am  

Thanks for the report. Some good shooting in your group. Too bad about the drainage.

ReplyQuote
Share: