Notifications

Leave your ego at home (Charlie Rymer)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
02/14/2020 7:44 am  

Charlie Rymer is well-known in golf. He is living in Murrels Inlet now. Recently, in an article, he had this to say to those coming in Myrtle Beach for to play golf. In short he said that it is very important to choose the good tees, meaning select a set of tees that allows you to hit a short-iron second shot to a par 4 when you have hit a decent drive. For most golfers, that is a set of tees measuring no more than 6,000 yards.In short, it is better to leave our ego at home.

This sounds good for me. But i admit that it is difficult sometimes.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
02/14/2020 7:51 am  
Posted by: @s333h

This sounds good for me. But i admit that it is difficult sometimes.

Golf is to be enjoyed - I have been pounding on choosing the right set of tees for your game for a long time. A lot of it depends on what course you're playing or what game you play in. I don't choose to play in groups that play the tips, I can't compete, and its not fair to my partner(s). I like Surf from the combo tees, but if I'm playing with 1p1, then it will be white tees with the occasional blue tee game. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
02/14/2020 9:14 am  

My group has no problem moving up a set or 2 of tees.... we usually look for something just under 6K yards.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Estimable Member
02/14/2020 9:28 am  

Most of the guys in my group are in their 60's & early 70's.  We play the set of tees closest to 6000 yards.  On Par 4's of more than 350 yards we move up a set of tees.  On Par 5's of more than 450 we move up.  This year we may also implement moving up on any Par 3 of more than 175 yards.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Honorable Member
02/14/2020 9:43 am  

Playing the proper tees esp. in MB is a must, we have started to use a combination of men's and senior tees this year and the games have been more enjoyable.  Still see way to many groups on the wrong tees filling the ponds with balls.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
02/14/2020 12:50 pm  

A real interesting topic that brings the necessity to "adjust" between what we would like to do, compared with what we can really do! 😉

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
02/14/2020 12:58 pm  

Don't be embarrassed to have some wedges to the green.  The pros hit lots of
wedges to greens.  On 500 yard par 4's they might have 200 yards left, but
that's only a 7 iron for most of them.   

We might be able to hold bent greens up north with any club, but in MB the 
hybrid greens are usually firm, so long irons and woods are not going to hold
well on them and we often can't run the ball on in MB.       

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
camy
 camy
(@camy)
Trusted Member
02/14/2020 2:26 pm  

I like the golf courses like the Surf Club + Tidewater because they have the combo tee's... as we get older some of our group finds it a struggle when the white tee's end up being around 6300 - 6500 yards. We try and keep things around 6000 yards so everyone has a fair chance to hopefully play well.

If we play a course that does not have the combo tee set up on the scorecard.... we have a guy on our trip that dictates what holes we play from the white tee's... and what holes we move up a set of tee's.... been doing this the last 3 years and it works out well for us.

ReplyQuote
Skippy
(@skippy)
Estimable Member
02/14/2020 7:37 pm  

@camy

... we have a guy on our trip that dictates what holes we play from the white tee's... and what holes we move up a set of tee's.... been doing this the last 3 years and it works out well for us.

Yea, but can he be bought??

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Prominent Member
02/14/2020 7:52 pm  

Tidewater's combo tees play the up Green tees on handicap holes 1-9, White on 
10-18.     

As previously mentioned, playing up on holes over a certain yardage is also good, 
no matter the number of holes.   

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
02/15/2020 5:09 am  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

so long irons and woods are not going to hold
well on them and we often can't run the ball on in MB.       

A very true statement - it's why on Dye and Nicklaus courses the right tee for your game is critical to enjoy the course as it was designed.

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Honorable Member
02/15/2020 7:06 pm  

Good thread

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
coastalguy
(@coastal-guy)
Eminent Member
02/16/2020 7:07 am  

If everyone chose the right tee's, pace of play during peak seasons wouldn't be an issue as much as it is. It's not so much locals but the tourists who insist on "seeing every inch" of a golf course. I've seen guys tee off from tips at Grande Dunes and not even make it to the forward tee's, that's when you know you're in for a long day. I agree wholeheartedly that choosing the right tees will result in lower scores and increased enjoyment from the game.

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Prominent Member
02/16/2020 10:57 am  
Posted by: @coastal-guy

If everyone chose the right tee's, pace of play during peak seasons wouldn't be an issue as much as it is. It's not so much locals but the tourists who insist on "seeing every inch" of a golf course. I've seen guys tee off from tips at Grande Dunes and not even make it to the forward tee's, that's when you know you're in for a long day. I agree wholeheartedly that choosing the right tees will result in lower scores and increased enjoyment from the game.

I agree. It would be so simple and a lot more fun for everyone.

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

ReplyQuote
mborbust
(@mborbust)
02/17/2020 9:45 am  

When I moved up to the senior tees,turning 70 in March,my enjoyment went way up!!!

S***H liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: