Eagle Nest 2/14/20

14 Posts
9 Users
2 Likes
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hadn't seen any recent reports on Eagle Nest, and as I had a quick trip through the area on Valentine's Day weekend, I decided to make a stop here.

If you haven't been here recently, change is in the air, and you might want to consider a trip--but give it a couple of months before you go. Almost a complete reworking of the bunkering. Lots of reshaping and reduction of the greenside bunkers--smart to me because immense bunkers, along with greens, add to maintenance costs. One of the reasons I suggest waiting is that the current local rule considers almost all of the greenside bunkers as GUR--so you're taking the ball out of the bunker to play it. That's understandable because the bunkers have been reduced in size, deepened, with prep being done for improved drainage--you will see gravel in the center of most of the bunkers to allow for better drainage. I talked to some of the guys working there, and while they'd like to see the work completed by March 1, I think it'll be into April before it's all done.

Conditions outside the bunkers were overall good. You'd like to see better conditions on the tees but fairways and greens were in good shape although the greens clearly weren't much more than 7-8 on the Stimpmeter. And if you want to score, this is the time to play as many of the tees have been moved far forward to accommodate the work being done on the course. Although Eagle Nest loves to talk about their Perch tees making this the longest course in South Carolina, there were several par 5s that weren't playing much longer than 450 yards even from the black tees.

Eagle Nest is what it is--a mid-tier that will never knock your socks off. Eagle Nest has always struck me as the kind of course that made me fall in love with Myrtle Beach when I started coming down in 1990--nothing special. some tough holes, surprisingly rolling terrain, but a great value priced course in generally excellent condition (as a lot of mid-tiers were in the heady days of the '90s). But I suspect when the bunker work is completed in a couple of months, with an accompanying emphasis on good conditioning of the remainder of the course, this will be one of the best mid-tiers in the area. The question will be, just how much will they jack up the price? If they keep the price rise down to about $15, I think they'll have a winner.

DenisGilbert reacted
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

That bunker work is more useful than the Perch Tees. ? 
I don't remember the bunkers being big or plentiful, but better drainage and 
sand is always good.    

Thanks for a detailed report!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@artmbgolf

Sorry, my post went up before it was complete--fat thumb syndrome, I'm afraid. I've put the info about the greens as well as other matters into my original (and now much longer!) post.

ReplyQuote
tadpole
(@tadpole)
Prominent Member

Interesting.  When I read about the perch tees I thought it was just another way to slow down play.  I mean, who would want to play behind a group playing from those tees?  Thanks for the update.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Noble Member

Thanks for the report!

Played Eagle Nest on Spring 2019 and was pleasantely surprised by that course.

I would not hesitate to go back in the near future!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Noble Member

@artmbgolf

I agree with Art, that the Perch Tees could have been forgotten about the money spent of them used to help fix what you reported about.  It is a course we seldom get to as it is always wet and generally CPO in the winter.

ReplyQuote
ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Famed Member

The Perch Tees are so crazy long, that wanna be pros would be embarrassed.  
It might not play too slow, because they will seldom have  to wait for the green 
to clear.   

I am thinking the Perch Tees cost might not have been too much, if done in spare 
time and if they didn't run irrigation to the tees and don't waste water on unused
tees.    In Fall of 2017, I saw them building some of the perch tees, taking dirt
from out of the woods.  I didn't see any pipes or ditches for pipes, unless that
came later on.      

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@artmbgolf

Quite a gimmick actually. They can advertise themselves as the longest course in SC while moving the remaining tees forward. The last couple of times I've played there, I doubt the white tees have been anything more than 5800-5900 yards. You can rack up a good score and brag about how you did it on the longest course in SC!

There's a par-5 at one of my local courses that is pitched to tourists that is no more than 450 going down the centerline of the fairway. Water guards the green to one side, but with a drive of 240-250, you've got a shot at the green that can stay over land all the way there. Of course, a fair number of approach shots go offline and fall into the water, but the hole also sees an inordinate number of eagle attempts. I call it a "tourist par 5."

ReplyQuote
S***H
(@s333h)
Noble Member

Eagle Nest is a good place to play golf. This course is on my list each year. Thanks for sharing your update!

''It's just golf, let's have fun''

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

Thanks for the update, this is a course i have no intention of playing. I also would never play the perch tees, to me you are trying to make yourself upset or look bad. 

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@jbshepherds

Of course, tastes differ, but if Eagle Nest pans out as I think it will on conditioning--the greens will probably be considerably quickened once drier weather hits, and the tees just need some warm weather to sprout more grass--then it's a fine change of pace course and as good as it gets for a warm up round. The course is surprisingly peaceful, and the pace of play is generally right around four hours.

But, as I mentioned in the original post, nothing that knocks your socks off--no stunning holes, no Intracoastal Waterway, no real history to it. I'd add, though, nothing that seems too out of place. It's a solid course that has generally charged a fair rate for what it offers.

DenisGilbert reacted
ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Famed Member

I played Eagles Nest quite a bit when I first moved to MB in a big weekly skins game. Has some tough holes on it, the back nine gets difficult after the 11th hole. As you stated - nothing will knock your socks off, but playable and they have really have worked hard to make the course better. A very solid tier 4  Perch tees are a gimmick but does give them a name. 

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
jw11
 jw11
(@jw11)
Noble Member

Eagle Nest already boasted having the SHORTEST forward tees on the strand and now they also have the LONGEST  tees from the tips.

"King Of The Mid-tiers"

ReplyQuote
(@jbshepherds)
Noble Member

@lwildernorva

I am sorry i didnt mean you when i said that, i meant if you play the perch tee's in general. Sorry about that. 

Let the Big Dawg Bark!!!

ReplyQuote
Share: