Notifications
Clear all

Carolina National/Tidewater/Thistle  

RSS

drmelotti@aol.com
(@drmelottiaol-com)
Trusted Member
03/28/2020 9:11 pm  

Few weeks back UGP posted a report on Carolina National, well I had 4 GroupGolfer vouchers that needed to be used and at $30 we figured lets do this, I'm glad we only paid $30 each for this disappointment, such a great layout that now has fallen on tough times, totally dormant greens and grass which is painted, cart paths are a disaster, carts which were almost impossible drive due to steering issues and front end issues, when one tire is toed out right and the other left your skidding down the path, starter says they have no one to repair, 4-1/2 years without repairs, a real shame of once it once was.

Tidewater: Beautiful golf course in excellent condition, one of the most difficult courses I've played not knowing the layout, greens probably running a 9 at best, talk about large greens,  my course at home could put four of ours in one of these greens, don't know what their green grass is but it's awfully grainy and not up to the speed that it would appear,don't hesitate to play and now t times are not an issue anywhere.

Thistle: Beautiful golf course in excellent condition, fairways lush but a little soft due to recent rains, greens smooth and at least 2 stimps higher than Tidewater, played the Stewart in 2 hours and the Mackay in 1:45, no rangers and no bev carts, if given a chance don't miss this course.

Barefoot Bunker Renovation and news: First off was Fazio #18 greenside bunker, filled in three quarters of the left side bunker, raised the level of the existing bunker to a 2 foot lip, all the rest sodded.

Norman #17 greenside bunker, raised the ground level 6 feet and sodded the entire bunker.

Dye #12 greenside cavern bunker, raised the ground level for a 10 foot diameter bunker with a two foot lip and sodded the entire rest, realizing pro's don't play here any more, other than 1Putt and UGP.

Barefoot update:Due to package cancellations and snowbird evacuations Barefoot will now be closing a different course daily for maintenance and funneling players to the other two open courses.

Wife and I will be returning to Michigan soon and I wish everyone a healthy future, UGP I'm sorry we couldn't get together but lets do this next year.

ArtMBGolf
(@artmbgolf)
Noble Member
03/28/2020 10:35 pm  

Tidewater has mini-verde greens.    

Is Barefoot working on all bunkers on all courses? 
Or are they just changing some of the severe or high maint bunkers?   

Norman #17 must be the right side bunker.   That was deep.  

The course closings is a good time for some extra maint.  

Thanks for an interesting report!  

*** Please Show Your Appreciation For MB Advice/Info In MBGT With Your Course or Trip Report! ***

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
03/29/2020 4:14 am  
Posted by: @drmelottiaol-com

cart paths are a disaster, carts which were almost impossible drive due to steering issues and front end issues,

They would actually be better served by keeping the carts off the cart paths

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
drmelotti@aol.com
(@drmelottiaol-com)
Trusted Member
03/29/2020 7:04 am  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

Tidewater has mini-verde greens.    

Is Barefoot working on all bunkers on all courses? 
Or are they just changing some of the severe or high maint bunkers?   

Norman #17 must be the right side bunker.   That was deep.  

The course closings is a good time for some extra maint.  

Thanks for an interesting report!  

Those three bunkers were the only ones I've noticed, and yes Art all three were way to deep for the average golfer to get out of, someone could get hurt if you stepped off the green on Normans #17 and fell into that bunker. Talking to the maintenance supervisor as they were sodding the Dye bunker, it's a big relief for his men not to have deal with these three and focus on other issues.

ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
03/29/2020 10:33 am  

Tough to read that Carolina National is not worth the play, it is a nice layout on all 3 nines.  Can never go wrong with Tidewater and the improvements at Barefoot courses will serve them well in the future. Just hoping we can get back down in November.

ReplyQuote
drmelotti@aol.com
(@drmelottiaol-com)
Trusted Member
03/29/2020 11:10 am  
Posted by: @leftygar1

Tough to read that Carolina National is not worth the play, it is a nice layout on all 3 nines. 

Lefty, for $30 it's somewhat of a deal but the passport wants $45.59 to play, for that price and to drive 45 minutes also and incur those conditions is not worth it in my eyes...Lets hope and pray all this mayhem is over with by the time November rolls around and you'll be good to enjoy Myrtle once again 😉

leftygar1 liked
ReplyQuote
leftygar1
(@leftygar1)
Prominent Member
03/29/2020 11:19 am  

@drmelottiaol-com

Agree with you the Passport rate for CN is to high for the conditions you got when you played, but time of year really does seem to dictate prices regardless of the shape of the course. 

The Mayhem will be gone, hopefully soon and our lives can get back to normal,  Day 11 of self Quarantine now and all is good for my wife and I.  Stay safe on your return to Michigan.

ReplyQuote
DenisGilbert
(@denisgilbert)
Honorable Member
03/29/2020 1:42 pm  

Thanks for reporting!

Denis Gilbert
Quebec City, Canada

ReplyQuote
Share: