Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/08/2020 10:47 pm  
Posted by: @jw11

Thanks for the breaking news Art.

I still haven't played this one and now I have a 2nd chance.

jw11

Perhaps we can play it this fall when you come back to MB -

Golf is just an excuse to drink whiskey and smoke cigars

ReplyQuote
lwildernorva
(@lwildernorva)
Trusted Member
07/09/2020 9:07 am  

If the owners are savvy, I'd get some good, realistic plans for bringing the course back to life and then spend a little money and time on some PR here, consisting of spreading the news to those with connections that might boost play if those plans bear fruit.

The PR would include an outing, bringing in Blondin and other local media that could have an effect plus Brian and other packagers for a day of golf and food/drink. And if it needs to be a full day with 36 holes and breakfast, lunch, and dinner included, so be it, but 18 and lunch or dinner might be better for the schedules of the folks invited.

The owners should do this after completing some work on the course, otherwise everybody attending will just tell their contacts/clients to stay away. At lunch/dinner, the owners should do a presentation, including (ugh!) slides. Take some pictures right now to show what the conditions were like when they took over and to give a basis for comparison with the conditions at the time of the outing, and discuss or show what steps they'll take to continue the improvement. Ask the audience, all experienced with the game, for their suggestions, both about steps to take in conditioning and in pricing, including the kind of dynamic pricing most courses use--high, shoulder, and low season, AM/PM prices, replay rates, etc. I'd also seek out suggestions about how to improve the experience for the golfer, which will help them both with the local residents they seek to join the club and the package golfers they hope to attract.

And then follow through, especially about conditioning. Course redesign? Don't waste the money. The bang for the buck comes from getting playing areas into acceptable condition. Bonus points if you can figure out how to reduce maintenance costs by eliminating certain high-cost maintenance items, such as extensive bunkering, that look great but put golf courses in a bind because the costs of maintenance far outweigh any benefit you get from the design feature.

And be realistic. At its best, I would think the Brick is on the upper end of mid-tier courses with the disadvantage that it's off the beaten path. You can increase local play/membership by getting the course into decent shape. It's a tougher sell for packagers unless your accommodations are around the Calabash/Little River corridor--it's like saying that someone from that area should have driven to play Indian Wells, a course that I liked but I wouldn't have driven 30-40 minutes to go play it.

Thinking through this post, I'm struck by how smart UGP was in his comment in February in this thread about the difficulty of making money on a golf course even if it's given to you. What I've set out here is probably the minimum the new owners have to do to make their purchase profitable, and yet, it will take hundreds of thousands of dollars at least, not counting day-to-day operating costs, plus almost a year to see real results--course improvement with the word getting around and play/memberships increasing as a result.

Yeah, I'm glad I only play the game and don't make my living off running a golf course!

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/09/2020 3:17 pm  
Posted by: @lwildernorva

Yeah, I'm glad I only play the game and don't make my living off running a golf course!

Golf is a difficult sport to make money on. For Brick to make money, not only will they have to get it in better condition, they will need the support of the community around it - support that equals dollars being spent at the course. Carolina Shores is still around despite the terrible conditions because the people around it support it - probably because it's cheap - and that serves a certain clientele.

ReplyQuote
Polekat914
(@polekat914)
Estimable Member
07/09/2020 9:14 pm  

My fingers are crossed.  It's a unique course and I hope it can stick around for a while.

ReplyQuote
Undercover Golf Pro
(@undercover-golf-pro)
Noble Member
07/10/2020 2:09 pm  
Posted by: @artmbgolf

It's a situation like Azalea Sands, but at least AS has a good location. 

And AS is getting in better condition

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: